Fight Club | Teen Ink

Fight Club

By beelzebubblez88 BRONZE, Center Moriches, New York
beelzebubblez88 BRONZE, Center Moriches, New York

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, he is braver five minutes longer

The old, mossy stone steps creak as i slowly descend them. The brisk air stings my rosy cheeks. I start to think about what terror lies ahead, but force myself to stop before the shakes set in. As I continue downward i can start to hear the screams and cat-calls of the drunken men who love to see teens blood spill. To see them cry out in pain as blows are laid down upon them. They disgust me. I disgust me. But, doing this gives me a life- an identity. It keeps me off the streets. At the end of the stairwell i see an old, steel door. All that stands before me and the pain that I know will soon come. I approach the door. The pain that my body feeds off. I grab the handle. The pain I've learned to love. I viciously rip the door open and howl at the top of my lungs. This sends the drunks- I refer to them as maggots- wild. They make a path for me to walk through. I see the makeshift ring that stands before me. My opponent contently stands in it with murder in his eyes. He sees me and bares his teeth. I reply with another howl. I step into the ring and one of the maggots hands me a glove- well, several rags crudely sewn together. I hold out my hand for him to shake but he instead slaps it away and spits in my direction. Okay, now I don't like this kid. I put my hands up and some maggot rings a bell. Game on. He runs at me with a flurry of punches and kicks so i jump back in surprise. My feet barely have time to reunite with the ground before i'm knocked off of it wit a strong kick to my ribs. Before he can capitalize with me being on the ground I roll backwards and get to my feet. This time I am ready for his flurry of punches and side step him. When he turns to face me I throw a hard right and it connects with his nose. He retaliates with a strong hook to the side of my head. I realize I wont beat him up top so i purposefully fall to the ground. I get down on my hands and knees and realize that this is my chance. As he goes to jump onto my back i grab his arm, stand up and fling him to the floor. I jump on top of him and start pounding his face with elbows and knees. Within three seconds he lay unconscious. I trow up my arms in victory. The maggots betting on him curse me in defeat. There is a large chance that they will take the other boys life, as he is no longer a use to them. How many more times can i do this? Later when trying to sleep, even though i won't be able to, I get up and head to the bathroom. When i look in the mirror i see myself as the monster the maggots see me as. I punch the glass and shards shower on and around me. But, it's the pain my body feeds on. The pain I've learned to love.