The Faceless Friends | Teen Ink

The Faceless Friends

By literaturelover GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico
literaturelover GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Do not fear death, fear an un-lived life."

Once there was a girl with a very defined face. This girl's face was concrete and stayed the way it was, and other people liked her for it. Kid after kid would follow the girl's footsteps, and their faces would start to look like hers. As she grew, the girl got used to the many faces that looked like hers. She even felt proud that she had so many lookalikes. When the girl became a teenager, her lookalikes started to disperse and find their own faces. The girl was happy that they had their own defined faces, even though her own started to change. As the months passed, the girl's face started to disappear. Her once defined face had faded into nothing. In order to still fit in, the girl wore masks to match each group of friends' faces. In public, the masks worked for the girl and made her happy. At home, without the masks, the girl felt very alone. One day, a friend of the girl took off his mask to reveal nothing. It took a while, but the girl decided to do the same. Immediately after the girl and her friend had removed their masks, the girl didn't feel so alone. Together, the two friends grew into adults with no faces. They still wore the masks in public, but now they didn't dread the moment they would take them off. As adults, the friends started to get defined faces again. And even when their faces faded slightly from time to time, they were not afraid because they knew they were not alone.

High school has been a hard time in terms of identity and finding who I am. I wrote this piece for one of my good friends who understands this and has helped me through the rough times. I will be forever grateful to him for that.

on Nov. 28 2013 at 1:59 am

I completely understand that. Just know that even when you feel that lonely, there's always someone who knows how you feel..

lilredd7 said...
on Oct. 19 2013 at 8:33 am
I see wat you mean middle school isn't the best my whole life actually has been a big ball of lonely and when I was visible uin the eyes of those around me it was the wrong type of visible do you no wat I mean