Falls After Leaps

“Of course I’ll be there!” I cried, grinning wildly.

“Great,” Chloe said. “Meet me after school. I’ll tell you about the deets then.” With that, she and Jennifer strutted down the hallway.

I couldn’t believe it! Chloe and Jennifer had actually invited me to their party! It was said that it was to be the party of the year! This wasn’t any surprise though; Chloe and Jennifer were just about the most popular girls in eighth grade.

Throughout the rest of the school day, I couldn’t stop thinking about the party. It was difficult not to: everyone else couldn’t stop talking about it either. They talked about subjects like what to wear, who to go with, and even proposing spin-the-bottle games. It was like the thought of the party just wouldn’t escape our minds and leave us alone.

I ran out the school doors that day in a rush to meet Chloe and Jennifer in the courtyard.

“Hey girls!” I said with a little too much enthusiasm.

“Hi,” they answered, simultaneously. Then they jumped right into the details about the party. “So the party is at my place on Friday and it starts at ten o’clock pm. Oh, and wear something… flattering.

I nodded my head understandingly as I made mental note.

Chloe and Jennifer tossed their hair over their shoulders and made their way over to a senior, to flirt with him no doubt.

***

When I got home that day, I flung the door open and threw my bag on the floor. “Dad!” I yelled, “I’m home!” I plopped onto the couch and turned on the TV. My dad came down the stairs. “Come to dinner Rebecca.”

I sighed and plodded into the kitchen. We sat down awkwardly at the dinner table, just the two of us as we always had done since the tragic accident.

I spoke up, breaking the silence. “So, um, there’s this party I would like to attend tomorrow.”

“Whose is it?”

“Chloe and Jennifer’s. They actually invited me!”

“You know I don’t like those girls,” my dad remarked. “You used to come home crying as a little girl because of them.”

“Yes Dad, I was little. It’s just going to be an innocent party,” I tried persuading.

“What you need to learn is to hang out with the right people, Rebecca. There won’t be any more discussion about it.”

I rolled my eyes and slowly chewed my food. I was furious! Yet, a part of me knew that I could do something about it.

***

The next day at school just flew by and everyone was so eager for the party. When I got home, I didn’t speak a word to my dad. He had left out a list of chores for me to do, probably to keep me occupied. I did only about half of the chores before retiring to my bedroom and locking myself in. I had so many impulses to run away to the party without my dad knowing, and by the time there was only five minutes to ten o’clock, I couldn’t ignore the impulses. I found myself opening the window as if I were in a trance. It’s like I wasn’t even thinking for myself. A gust of cool, fresh night air hit me directly in the face and as I breathed it in, I felt as if I couldn’t even control my own muscles. I went to my closet, changed into a short pencil skirt and tube top, and I escaped through the window into the night.

Once I stepped foot onto Chloe’s property, I knew I should have turned back around and gone straight home, but being the curious self that I am, I didn’t. About half the party guests were fooling around outside with cigarettes clutched in their hands. Inside Chloe’s house was even worse. The smell of alcohol lingered in the air and the whole house was crowded, chaotic, and stuffy. Drinking and smoking, I thought to myself. Not a good sign. Yet, I was desperate enough for popularity not to leave.

Only a half-an-hour into the party, I, myself, was drinking. The whole party was a blur but I do know that I was hanging out with absolutely the wrong crowd. I got home at two o’clock in the morning. I threw myself onto the couch cradling my throbbing head. I could feel my heartbeat pounding in my ears. Being intoxicated, I couldn’t focus what-so-ever and I was laughing out loud! I closed my eyes, intending on going up to my bedroom in two minutes.

Apparently, I never did go up to my bedroom two minutes later because I was abruptly shaken awake by my dad. I remember the cold stare he had on this face and the harsh tone he used with me.

“What is the matter with you Rebecca?!” he yelled. “I strictly told you that you weren’t to attend that party and you disobeyed me! Now look at you!”

“What makes you think I went to that party father?” I started giggling.

He yanked me up off of the couch and made me look directly at him. “I don’t think I can give you an effective enough of a punishment for what you did.

“I really didn’t do anything wrong, Dad. I needed my freedom so I leapt for it.”

“But now you’re falling. Aren’t you?”

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:33 pm:
pretty good you lossed me in the begining try a letting the story speak for itself more but the rest was great

InspireWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 5:36 pm :
Thank you for your feedback; I really appreciate it!

InspireWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:28 pm:
Again, sorry for the gaps in between the paragraphs! I don't know why it keeps showng up this way!