The Talking Chair This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The chair rests by the fireplace. I can’t remember a time when it wasn’t there. It seems placid, quiet, but full of mystery. I want to know its secret.
It has two curved rockers at the bottom, which cause it to sway sometimes when the wind blows, like the chair is dancing. Maybe it is.
The dark wood finish is in contrast to the rest of the room, which is painted pale white. It makes the chair seem wiser, older, more confident. When I sit beside it (I never sit in the chair) I can smell the musty odor of old wood, but on this chair, it’s intriguing, like foreign cologne.
The wood on the sides is worn where many hands have touched it, over and over. The worn spots are like wrinkles, I think. After all, the chair is very old.
Sometimes, when I sit beside the chair, I imagine it could speak to me- tell me all its secrets and all it has seen and heard in the hundred years of its existence. It shines dark and vivid against the white room, fading into night, and I wonder if maybe, just maybe, one day the chair will open its decorative curlicue and start speaking. But that’s wishful thinking, chairs can’t talk.
Probably.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved reading this- it was very mystifying and intriguing. The descriptions and imagery were perfect! I love how you posed questions about how maybe chairs have human qualities/personalities. Very unique, and Ur VERY talented :P

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm :
Thank you!!! You made me so happy!

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was wonderful to read.. I mean a simple subject and a simple story turned into something so captivating and intriguing. I love the line about how it smelled like foreign cologne. The descriptions are right on, perfect. Word choices are also great. Wonderful job!

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:14 pm :
Thank you! I'm so happy when someone likes my work. :)

lucybrown said...
Wow, this was a really well written piece! I enjoyed it - I love your descriptions especially "I can smell the musty odor of old wood, but on this chair, it's intriguing, like foreign cologne" and "it shines dark and vivid against the white room, fading into night..."  The imagery in this piece is very well done and you did a good job at hooking the reader with the beginning sentence.  I also really like the last paragraph; it does a good job of making the piece... (more »)

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:05 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!

xMeadowx said...
I really liked it! It was such a nice little piece. I loved the descriptions and how your writing moved with your thoughts (when you were talking about how you hoped the chair could talk some day and how you wondered about its past). Really nice work. :)

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm :
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

musicgirl808 said...
I am excited to use this website!

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:45 am :
Uh-huh. I know who you are.

IndigoAtHeart replied...
Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 am :
Oh, sorry! Never mind, I thought you were my sister! She likes to randomly comment on my pieces, and musicgirl808 sounds like a screen name she has!

lamismaestrellaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, great work! Simple yet  so, SO evocative. Your imagery was exquisitely written. I can definintely see why this made Editor's Choice; congratulations, and thanks for sharing! :)

lamismaestrellaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm :
* definitely Spell-check, you have failed me. xD

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm :
Thank you so much! You made my day!

BeccaLuvsTaylorSwift replied...
Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm :
I no that this is fiction, but is this chair actically based on a chair u have?

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 am :
Actually, no. Not really. There is a chair in my house that is about a hundred years old, but the chair in this piece is not the same as that chair. Artistic license, I guess. I used the real chair as inspiration.

DuaaSam said...
This was excellent, seriously. That is how I like most of my compositions to be, ending on a mysterious, intriguing note. I'd like myself to produce such a piece someday. P.S. I might use the idea for class. I mean, its just that awesome.

Artgirl1999 replied...
Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:41 am :
Oh my gosh, thank you!!! You made my day!!!