Golfers Madness | Teen Ink

Golfers Madness

March 20, 2013
By jonathan worscheck BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
jonathan worscheck BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sound of golf balls being pounded one after another filled the air. The simple talk between cadies and golfers could be herd. The “gasps” and “look there he is!” came from admiring fans, that watched their favorite players warm up before the final round of the Farmers Insurance Open. Hoards of people followed the tournament leaders every move, to where they went, whether it was from hole to hole on the putting green, or bathroom to snack stand, their eyes were on glued to the golfers. The few rookies that had made the final cut to play on Saturday and Sunday kept to themselves, dreaming about what it would fell liked to be so loved and adored.

The chatter of people and ringing of golf balls settled down. The first groups start to tee off, drivers in hand and low scores in the head, started their round. One after another, groups were announced by name and tee time, by the starter. The final group comes up to the tee box.
The starter clears his throat and says, “Now welcome to the tee for the eight o’clock tee time, Allen Woodworth!”
Allen receives a generous applause from the ecstatic crowd, even though Allen is a rookie that no one has heard of. The loud screams and whistles are still to come.

The starter clears his throat again and says, “and now welcome to the tee box for the eight o’clock tee time the leader of the tournament, Tiger Woods!’
The crowd erupts into hollering, whistling and obnoxious clapping. Allen has already hit his tee shot and Tiger is up now up to hit. The tension in the crowd is as tight as police chase. All eyes are on Tiger, watching to see what he does. Tiger approaches the ball. The marshals hold up quiet signs. It was quieter than a library on a Sunday. Ping! The sound of his brand new Nike Covert driver as it collides with the new 20XI golf ball. The ball rips down the middle of the fairway on Torrey pines south course, followed by thousands of cheers, whistles, and more obnoxious clapping.

That was it; the final group had officially started their round. The talk of the entire tournament was about Tiger: could he hold on to his firm lead from Saturday’s round? Every Tweet being sent out was with attached with “#Tiger Woods”. The tournament’s atmosphere was calm, except for the few occasional long putts being sunk by the players, which would interrupted the serine silent day with bursts of cheers.
The last three groups are now on holes 18, 17 and 16. The tournament is coming to it’s end. And will soon make someone champion and one million dollars richer.
Time passes and one by one, each group finishes up, with a tired look’s on their face’s mixed with dismay after seeing the leader board, with Tiger Woods at the top with a four stroke lead. Woods has never lost with a lead of three strokes or more in his career history. But he has not finished yet.

Tiger and Allen come up to the 18th tee box. Tiger had pared the 17th, but Allen birdied 17. Both men rip their tee shots down the five hundred and seventy-two yard par five. Both balls rest in the fairway. But the rookie came into this tournament to win and realized it’s all or nothing now if he wants to have a chance of winning the Famers Insurance Open.
The rookie makes a gutsy move and takes out his three wood and lines up to land on this monstrous par five in two! Allen is hoping that Tiger bogeys and ties him to go to a play off. That of course means he must eagle number 18. Allen lines up his shot, settles, and then he crushes the ball right in the center of the club face and has a perfect line to the green. The ball lands just short and rolls up onto the green. The crowd cheers and whistles. Now Tiger is up. Tiger is a fearless golfer with seventy- five victories under his belt, knows what the rookies is trying to do. Tiger makes the decision to not be outdone by the rookie and also takes out his three wood and lines up his shot. Tiger comes up to address the ball. Again the tension is high. He takes a rip at the ball. The ball is soaring towards the green. One problem lies ahead for tiger. His line towards the green takes him right into the water.

Both players are now on the green. Tiger lays four with a 17-foot par putt to insure his victory. Allen has a 10-foot putt for eagle and a chance for a play off if Tiger misses his par putt. Tiger is now ready to putt and is seconds away from hitting. Tiger hits the putt. Screams of “get in the hole!!!#%@#” comes from the crowd. The putt lips out of the hole and is now on the outside of the cup. The crowd collectively gasps with disappointment. Tiger taps in his ball. Now the rookie Allen has his chance to tie up the round. He stands over his ball. He hits his putt; the ball is rolling right towards the hole! The ball is now one inch away from going in!

*BEEP* * BEEP* * BEEP* * BEEP*, Goes the alarm clock in Allen Woolworth’s bedroom. Allen slowly wakes up from his ultimate golf dream. He continues of with his morning routine; as he gets ready for work.