The Worries of a High School Student | Teen Ink

The Worries of a High School Student

March 19, 2013
By wblewisgamer BRONZE, Shreveport, Louisiana
wblewisgamer BRONZE, Shreveport, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a normal Tuesday like every other for Tom. He woke up at six thirty in a haze and sleepily walked to the bathroom. He would take a five minute shower, and got dressed. He always wore a LCP uniform with a bow tie. Breakfast was always fast for him and then he packed up. He left the house at seven thirty, not a minute less or a minute early. He got into a 2013 Jetta, neat and clean, and drove to school. Right when he turned his car on, the media screen went up and chooses the CD selection. His favorite song was on. It was “Little Lion Man” by Mumford and Sons. Tom sang the song with utter glee and hope for a great day.

He decided to open his sun roof for the rest of the five minute drive. The wind whispered its sweet and joyful tune, which helped make Tom’s day even better. Due to his grades, Tom always got the closest spot in the parking lot. After spending two minutes walking to school, he arrived inside the school filled with bustling students and the constant chatter about academics, teachers, people, television, and more. It was his big day, he thought. I have to take my final exam for biology. He loved science all his life, but the teacher made bio much harder for him with all this extra works and projects, causing him to stay up late every other night, and getting two hours of sleep. He loved the teacher but he made everything a big deal.
He has spent this whole week studying the whole curriculum of biology, after each night, he cursed the science of biology and all these stupid work. Tom decided to use the ten minutes before class started to prepare. He had ten flash cards sets for the exam with a dozen study guides, containing little notes crammed in between the margins. He heard the old sound of the bell from the intercom. He had a sense of nervousness with a sense of confidence and doubt. Tom decided to go to the class room and get this stupid exam over with. He sat at the front of the room with the rest of his friends. He saw John in a sweater vest like usual, Emma with the look of an expert on the subject, and then Alex, who had a similar look to me.
The teacher gave us a hour for the exam and he said we could leave when we got finished. Sarah told me, “It will take thirty minutes to do this and leave.”
Tom got his pencil out of his backpack and waited for him to pass out the exams. As soon as he got it, he recognized the biggest blessing in his life, it was a ten question multiple choice test. When Tom saw the questions, and realized they were all the questions from past tests. Sarah had a look of disgust and anger. She asked the teacher “What is with this. This is high school bio, not middle school science.
The teacher then replied, “I realize the format and decided to give you guys a break. I am trying to help the kids with a bad grade.”
Sarah got up from her seat and left. Tom decided not to argue and accept the gift. It took him ten minutes to finish the exam and then gave his teacher a firm handshake with a thank you. Tom got a hundred on it and celebrated with his friends and family. He now loved his biology teacher and appreciated him more.


The author's comments:
I was inspired like most students due to hard classes and our love for teachers when they help us.