Stars

The sky is dark and mournful tonight, clouded by the misery of God. The evening reflects the earlier day: misty, damp and dreary.

The air is moist on my bare face as I step outside, the wind sharply whipping through my hair. I take a deep breath and inhale the slowly dying world that surrounds me, full of pollution, depression and violence. Sitting down peacefully on the damp grass, I tilt my head to admire the sky, the only window that is full of purity and pleasure.

It’s so vast.
Powerful.
Mysterious.
Unknown to mankind.

I feel myself lean further backwards, until the green mattress cushions my fall. Instinctively, I close my eyes as familiar tears begin to prick brutally, but it’s useless, they fall either side onto the ground. Drip! in unison.

I begin talking to you in my head, meaningless conversation, but ultimately apologising constantly. You accept, of course, and slowly but surely, peace floods back and tears disappear as quickly as they came.

Re-opening my eyes, they sky blankets my vision, completely starless and isolate. A lonely field above our heads. A deep blue swarming with mystery.

They are no stars tonight, I think mindlessly. My thoughts are miles away, unsure, lost in the midst of reality, swallowed up by bitter truths and unwanted friendships. My mind clears and I focus up above.

A bright light catches my eye, flickering in the shrouded moonlight. I allow myself a small smile as the star shines brazenly through the clouds, the only star to be the storm. Unique.

“Make a wish,” I whisper and shut my eyes tight. In my mind’s eye, I stare up to the star and pray for everything to end well. “I wish it will all be okay,” I repeat out loud.

When I open my eyes again, the star has moved across the sky, amazingly sprouting metal wings and flashing a crimson red. My heart sinks as I witness it lowering to Earth, beaming alone in the night, with no real stars secretly accompanying it.

A hot tear trickles down my check as I realise my wish is non-existent, wishing on an electrical invention with no mystery or magical element. My wish has vanished, crashing down to Earth along with the plane.

Maybe that’s why wishes no longer come true: there are no stars left to wish on, they’ve all faded beyond the sky, leaving the dreams and wishes floating uselessly high above, with no hope left.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

RelativetoWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:04 am:
Your descriptions are so moving. This piece made me sad, in a good way. Keep writing!