The Old and The Young | Teen Ink

The Old and The Young

December 13, 2012
By Tom-Walmsley SILVER, Forest Lake, Minnesota
Tom-Walmsley SILVER, Forest Lake, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The birds flew low over the green algae chocked water, as the old man and the boy stood apart at the end of the aged, worn dock, their fishing lines trailing off into the water. They stood apart from one another, the old man sweating and smoking a thick cigar, the boy silent and unmoving. “Are you going to tell me about what happened?” The boy blew out a long exasperated breath, shifting his weight from one foot to the other and turned slightly to face his grandfather. “No old man, I’m not going to tell you. It doesn’t concern you. You don’t need to know.” The old man jiggled the rod gently, but nothing took the bait. “Back in my day-…” The boy cut him off. “These aren’t your days anymore old man. The world has changed.” The old man took the cigar from his mouth and sighed before flicking the stub into the murky water of the lake. “Boy, the world does not change, it is incapable of change. Only fools believe that the world is different.” The boy looked at the old man’s back, scowled, and spat into the lake.