.fog. | Teen Ink

.fog.

September 12, 2012
By The_Reelist SILVER, Early, Iowa
The_Reelist SILVER, Early, Iowa
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reality is a lovely place - but I wouldn't wanna live there." - Owl City


''Fifty dollars!"
"I hear fifty, do I hear fifty-five?"
"Sixty!"
"Seventy-five!"

The crowd was soon gathering around the young child on the steps of City Hall. The white noise making the bidding even harder to hear, but they just shouted louder. So loud, you could hear it several blocks away.

"One hundred dollars!" someone called out from the back. A couple members of the crowd turned to look at the bidder, while a middle aged woman shouted a higher number.

Never underestimate the lengths addicts will go on a nicotine fit. Never underestimate the length normal people will go to feel normal again.

The only thing that stopped the crowd from jumping the young boy and taking the pack of cigarettes was just that - the urge to feel normal again. And also the fact that in the rabble, no one would get them.

A a frail, 20-something man bid one hundred and fifty dollars, thinking it would stop the auction. It didn't. You should see how much a can of spent coffee grounds will go for. But money means nothing to people, if only to gain their humanity back. Money will be around forever, but humanity is dying.

I light a cigarette, and flip the collar of my coat up. I walk past the crowd, blow a puff of smoke, and stroll along.

Humanity.

And it only cost me three hundred dollars.


The author's comments:
I got the idea for this short story as I was walking my dog and saw a cigarette lying on the side of the road. I decided to use this example as a brief look into the state of man and my opinion of how people would react when everything is taken from them.