Letters in Blood | Teen Ink

Letters in Blood

By Simplywonderful GOLD, Fort Meade, Florida
Simplywonderful GOLD, Fort Meade, Florida

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

August 2nd, 2011

Afghanistan

Dear Julia,

In four days we will be leaving on a special mission. We will be performing a night-raid in the Tangi Valley of the Wardak Providence. I’m extremely nervous, even though I’m been to a night-raid before. But things have been very tense lately. Everyone at the base can sense it. This war has become worse than any of us men ever believed possible. It has become a tangible thing. A thing that haunts the dreams of every one of these men. Even as Captain, I’m worried.
But in less than a month I will be home with you. I cannot wait. I dream about seeing your beautiful face and running my hands through your brown hair. My fiancé. It still feels strange saying it. But soon you will be my wife. I am ready to start a family with you. I love you so much, and don’t ever forget that. Missing you every day.

-Nathaniel
August 3rd, 2011

New York, New York

Dear Nathaniel,

My love, I think of you every day. I cannot wait until you return home. I’m more ready to marry you than I’d ever thought I’d be. My mother and I went and picked out my dress the other day. It’s so lovely. You’d like it. Everything for the wedding is planned. All that’s left is my very handsome groom. And for him to fix the television when he comes home! It’s been out for so long!
But, I must admit, I’m very worried for you. I know that if you are feeling uneasy about this mission it must be dangerous. Did the General tell you that this would be a difficult task? Or is this your instincts kicking in? Either way, I’m not happy. Promise me you will stay safe? I know you will lead your men well. You always do. Love you more than my heart can bare.

-Julia
August 4th, 2011

Afghanistan

Dear Julia,

I promise I will return home to you my sweet. But I must fulfill my duties as Captain of these men. I must not show fear. Do not worry over me. I will be fine. But I’m not sure I can stand being away from you much longer! I know you will look beautiful in your dress on our wedding day. But then again, you always look beautiful.
But I must demand that we have my grandmother make our wedding cake. She makes the best red velvet in all of New England! No lie. And she said she wanted to do it for our wedding gift. How can you say no to Granny Anne? It’d break her old heart. But I promise everything else is up to you. It is your day after all. Loving you to death.

-Nathaniel
August 5th,2011

New York, New York

Dear Nathaniel,

I would love for your grandmother to make our cake. I’ll go speak with her later this week. I have no doubt it will be wonderful. Just as wonderful as our lives will be once we are married. I’m looking so forward to the day I will say, “I do.” You are the only man I will ever love. I don’t know what I’d do without you.
I also wanted to remind you to be careful on your mission tomorrow. I’m praying for you every night. You are such a brave man. But sometimes your bravery becomes one of your flaws. You are so willing to protect your country, that you never consider what might happen to you. But I will always be proud of you, and so will your country. Be safe my love, and return home to me.

-Julia
August 7th, 2011

New York, New York

Dear Nathaniel,

Are you alright dear? I haven’t heard from you in two days. Which from you is very unusual. I understand you must be very busy, but can’t you at least send a quick letter letting me know you are alright? You have me and your mother worried sick. As soon as you get this Nathaniel Alan Stark, you write me back! Hoping you are well.

-Julia
August 8th, 2012

New York, New York

Dear Julia Mills,

We regret to inform you that your fiancé, Captain Nathaniel Stark, was killed in battle at 11:42 on the Morning of August 6th, 2011 while an enemy force shot down a military helicopter. We are sorry for the delay of this letter.

John R. Allen
United States Military
Air Force

Aurora, New York

Dear Nathaniel,

I know you will never be able to read this, unless God will let you read it all the way up in heaven. If so, then I want you to know how much I loved you. How much I still love you. Last week I received the letter. The Casualty Assistance Team brought it and told me the horrific news. I fell to my knees when they told me, screaming out your name as hot, salty tears ran down my cheeks.
Today is the day of the funeral. We are burying you in Aurora, where you grew up. Right in Oakland Cemetery where we buried your father’s parents. I thought you would like to be here. The military told me when I places my rose on you casket I could also lay down this letter. I wanted it buried with you.
I already miss you so much. Even though we didn’t get married before God decided to take you away to his kingdom, I will always remember you as my husband. That was what you truly were to me. I don’t need some piece of paper to tell me that. I love you so much. I will be strong because I know that is what you would want be to do. I’ll keep the flag they game me for the rest of my life. The flag that reminds me of the wonderful man I had that was so brave to serve for his country. Have fun in Heaven my love, but don’t ever forget me. I know I’ll never be able to forget you.

-Julia