Blackout | Teen Ink

Blackout

August 13, 2012
By Zero GOLD, Langley, Washington
Zero GOLD, Langley, Washington
10 articles 0 photos 13 comments

I remember the night of the blackout so clearly. I was fourteen years old. My mother was on a plane to Detroit and my father was out getting groceries. It was just me and my older brother Clay.

"Clay, when's dad getting home?" I ask impatiently.

"Soon, Kaiti, soon." He paced around the living room with a worried look on his face.

"Clay, what's wrong?"

"Nothing Kait, everything's fine." Liar.

That's when the lights and tv started flickering, then darkness. I heard Clay curse.While Clay stumbled in the darkness looking for a flashlight, I got up from the couch and walked over to the window. We were not the only ones without power. I saw the darkness spread throughout the usually bright city of Seattle.

Clay found a flashlight but it was dead. So instead we got the candles out, lit them and placed them around the house. We know the drill, save the water. Keep the fridge and freezer closed and if you have to open them, make it quick.


When dad finally got home he was sweaty and tired. He told us that he was at the store when the power went out. People were freaking out, grabbing batteries, flashlights, canned food. People were just sweeping the shelfs of everything on them.

"But where's the car?" Clay asked.

"I left it at the store. It doesn't work anymore. The battery is dead."

"WHAT? But that's a brand new car!" I exclaimed.

"No one's car is working." Dad said.

"Why?" Clay and I said at the same time.

"I have no idea... Solar flare maybe?"

A solar flare would mean cars, boats, batteries, phones, satellites and any other electronic wouldn't work. That also means airplanes wouldn't work. I realized this and asked. " Dad, when is Mom supposed to land?"

"Well, her plane was supposed to take off at four and land in Detroit at around nine."

Clay realized why I asked and said. "Kaiti. Don't worry, Mom landed safely in Detroit. She just can't call because if this is a solar flare then her cellphone won't be working." I check the clock. It's frozen at 8:44, the time of the blackout.


The author's comments:
I just started to work on this. Please comment and rate it!