Becoming A Lady | Teen Ink

Becoming A Lady

By Kenziemcm13 PLATINUM, Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Kenziemcm13 PLATINUM, Rutherfordton, North Carolina

A simple story can tell an entire story!~~ ME
Pictures tell a 1000 words~IDK :P

"You're a lady." said my mother when I was only 5. "Ladies, do not play in mud, ladies do not burp, ladies do not argue, ladies do not eat with their mouths open, ladies do not curse, ladies do not drink, ladies do not cry,ladies do not pop their gum." So many things ladies do not do. She taught me how to sit up straight, posture is important for a lady. Ladies always sit with their legs crossed, never apart. I was/am not allowed to put my elbows on the table nor was I suppose to place my glass to far away where I would have to reach over my food to receive it. Always sink in your stomach while eating and keep your back straight.

At 5 I went through the process of learning how to act like a lady. Every day I routinely went through learning this. I dare not back talk or burp. Always chew completely before swallowing. Napkins are placed on your lap. Always make eye contact, (this lesson has always been hard for me for I do not like eye contact I feel as if the other person is trying to look into my soul or something.) Ladies walk properly, no slouching. I practiced walking with books upon my head. One foot placed in front of the other. I took ballet to learn to dance ever so gracefully like a lady.

At age 8 I was taught how to cook and clean just like a lady. Ladies do not complain about doing household work. By the age of 10 I could cook an entire meal by myself, because as a lady cooking is a very important skill. As my mother has always said, "The best way to a mans heart is through his stomach."

Ladies do not curse, nor do they beg or plead over a guy. A true lady acts mature. If faced with a break up you do not cry you smile and move on. Only wish the best for him and do not dare curse his name. Ladies do not get upset, you never see a true lady frown.

My whole life I have sat up straight, cooked, cleaned and bent over backwards for the male population. I always use my manners, never cry, or curse. Foul language is not acceptable. I never pop my gum or put my elbows on the table. I have always been polite and walked tall no matter what I faced.

I believe I did not truly become a lady until recently. I know I have always been a woman, obviously. But one must not just be a woman but a lady. Which takes time and preparation. By the age of 13 I had learned all there was to being a lady, but did not become a lady until three years later.

I was 16 when I became a true lady. I realized that ladies are allowed to frown, cry, burp and pop gum. Being a lady does not mean you have to be a mans servant nor does it mean you must follow these strict rules my mother shoved down my throat. I began to realize that I can be whatever I want there is female wrestlers for Gracious sake! They obviously do not follow these strict guidelines. I began to loosen up and just enjoy being me.

Now it has been a year since this overwhelming realization and I still follow some of "the lady policies" I cannot make myself slouch, or sit down without crossing my legs. I have tried eating with my elbows on the table but feel so uncomfortable that way! I will probably always walk straight with one foot in front of the other, and forever use my manners, I doubt there will ever be a day I dare curse just for the fact that I feel as a person I shall not do that. Not because of my gender just because of my perspectives on the proper way one shall act.

My mother has always been very old fashion. She has 6 daughters counting me and all of us are raised as the well postured, well mannered, clean cut, innocent ladies. We are not allowed to burp, back talk slouch, curse, sit without crossing our legs or anything else that is consider "un-lady" like. I had never had a problem with it until I reached high school when I realized just how wrong this was.