Dear Sophie | Teen Ink

Dear Sophie

June 3, 2012
By DelaneyKate BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia
DelaneyKate BRONZE, Charlottesville, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Monday, July 7th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. Camp Willoughby is as great as ever, but it isn’t the same without you. I know I’ve been going here since I was eight, and it’s my fifth summer, but this place feels different because it’s my first summer without you here too. Remember Paige, from last summer? She’s next to me as I write this, and she says she misses you. She dyed her hair back to brown after we tried to dye it blonde last summer. That was a nightmare, wasn’t it?

Anyway, lots of people from last year are here. Paige of course, and Haley, that girl who got caught sneaking out of the cabin last summer. Quinn’s here too, remember him? He had a major crush on you last summer. He wishes you were here. There’s also Bianca and Nina, those two girls who talked nonstop always got us confused, even though we’re fraternal. They wish you were here too. I think everyone wishes you were here.

Right now we have rest time, and I’m glad. Even though it’s our first day, I’m really tired. I had soccer and volleyball this morning, and it had to be at least one hundred degrees outside. We’re getting ready for free swim now, though, so I better go. I’ll write you again soon. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Tuesday, May 8th
Dear Sophie,



I wish you could be here, twin. Even though you haven’t written back yet, I’m writing you another letter, since my first one was a bit short. And because I still miss you.

Last night we had a campfire. We roasted marshmallows and make s’mores. You used to love s’mores, remember? When we got home from camp you got Mom to buy giant marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers, and we tried to make them in the microwave. Mom, Dad, and I thought they were delicious, but you said they weren’t the same and only ate one. Couldn’t you at least of come to camp for the s’mores?

Anyway, this girl in my cabin named Vivian got marshmallow all over her hair and was in the shower for more than an hour that night, so none of us got to shower. The rest of us had to wake up REALLY early this morning so we could all shower. Some of the girls are mad at Vivian, but I’m just glad I wasn’t the one to get marshmallow in my hair. That would’ve sucked.

I’m going to take a nap now, since I had to wake up so early. I hope you’re doing okay. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Thursday, July 10th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. Sorry I didn’t write yesterday, I thought maybe I should wait for you to write back. You haven’t written back yet Sophie, what’s wrong? I’m writing you anyway, because I miss you so much.

We have a pool party tonight, and I’m glad. I swear, the temperature has to be nearly two hundred degrees. Instead of sports, the counselors just take us to the pool or lake. I’ve been lathering up on sunscreen, after last summer. Remember that? We both decided it would be fun to tan with some of the older girls, and ended up with blisters on the back of our legs because we got burnt so badly. That hurt, but it was fun hanging out with you in the air conditioning of the nurse’s office.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Yesterday in fishing, I caught this huge turtle! I was proud of myself, but we had to let it go. I’m a bit nervous to go in the lake, now that I know what’s in it.

Well I have to go. Write back soon, please? I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Friday, July 11th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. You haven’t written back yet. Is something wrong? You can tell me anything. I’m your twin.

I still miss you. I hurt my ankle today in soccer, when I accidently stepped in a hole. It should be okay by tomorrow, but today I’m on crutches. I’ve always wanted to be able to use crutches, but now that I have them they suck. I can’t run around or go in the pool or lake. A few of my cabin mates made me a card, though. They’re the best.

Right now I’m on the sideline for volleyball. I said I’d be the token cheerleader, but instead I’m writing this letter to you. I bet if you were here, you’d be rocking it out on the volleyball court. I remember last summer, when you lead our cabin to victory in the volleyball tournament. If it weren’t for you, we would’ve failed. I wish I were as good at volleyball as you. Guess I didn’t get that gene.

I’m going to go back to cheering for now. Can’t you send one letter back? Please? I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Saturday, July 12th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. Maybe the mail’s just a little slow getting here. After all, you’re pretty far away.
It’s Saturday, so our cabin is free to go to the activities we want. I just got back from a badminton tournament—Paige and I got third place—and I think I’m going to head down to the pool with some other campers in a few.
My ankle’s gotten better, which is a relief. It still hurts a bit, but at least I don’t have to walk around in those terrible crutches. Oh, and they announced that there’ll a dance next Friday. I can’t wait! I wonder if anybody will ask be. This boy named Henry is really nice, and I think he might like me. Remember last summer, when you went with Leo? You two were too cute! I went single, but that’s okay. You are the prettier one, after all.
I’m still waiting for your letter, but I’m sure the mail’s just a bit slow from where you are. Maybe you’ve already written me a letter, and it’s just not here yet. I hope you have. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.






Love,






Annie




Monday, July 14th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. I didn’t send a letter yesterday because it was Sunday, and this morning I couldn’t wait for them to distribute mail. I didn’t get a letter from you though, and it’s been a week since I sent my first letter. Mom and Dad sent a letter. They said they loved me and hoped I was okay.

Are you okay, Sophie? I miss you so much. Camp isn’t camp without you.

It’s raining really hard today, with thunder and lightning and everything. We all have to stay in our cabins. This morning our counselors tried to play some games with us, but soon we got bored. Now we’re all just lying in the darkness listening to the thunder and the water from the leaky ceiling drop into a bucket. I’m writing this by the light of a flashlight.

Remember when it rained last summer, and we all had to run back to our cabins? You and I held our towels behind us like capes and dashed through the rain, laughing and yelling. By the time we got back, we were soaked, but neither of us cared. It had been fun.

You’ve gotten my letters, haven’t you? I hope I got the address for Heaven right. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.




Tuesday, July 15th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. It’s still storming. None of us got any sleep last night. I’m miserable. I want you to be here. I wish you’d come back. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Wednesday, July 16th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. It hasn’t stopped raining. I hate cancer. You were only thirteen. It’s not fair. Nothing’s fair. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Thursday, July 17th
Dear Sophie,


I wish you could be here, twin. The storm stopped. Are you happy? I know you can’t come back, but I’ll never forget you. I miss you, Sophie. I love you.







Love,







Annie




Friday, July 18th
Dear Sophie,


Goodbye, twin. I love you.







Love,







Annie


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece for anyone who's ever had something too terrible to face. I hope people can see that sometimes you should learn to face the problem and try and move on.