Reign of Power

Even now, I hear her screeching voice shouting these words to me, “You are not perfect, and you never will be, but you at least have to try. No one can help you, but yourself.”

The age of four was the first time I heard it. Her face was as red as a tomato and I imagined smoke blowing out of her ears. I was dumb founded. Madly, I turned around, ran to my room, and buried my head in my pillow, tears streaming down my face. I sincerely hoped, “This must be a one time thing, she will never say it to me again.”

At the age of ten, I heard it again. I was so upset that I found one of her glass displays and shattered it everywhere, making sure that it could never be put back together. Tears no longer brang out my anger, but raging eyes with scorching flames replaced them.

A few minutes ago, I heard the same statement, “You are not perfect, and you never will be.” But, this time, I finished it for her, “But I deserve to be me. I will never be that perfect child that you want me to be, but, listen mom, maybe its because I don’t want to be.” I stood there, waiting for her to answer and strike the perfect comeback, but all I received was a nod as she turned away, knowing her reign of power had disappeared.

jnash123 said...
I love this! Its so beautiful . Very well written.

Interminable_DreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm:
I know how to relate to this poem. Beautiful and deep. Please check out putting on masks by me and maybe some of my other work. Thanks! Ps. Added Ur's to my favorites!

Kylah replied...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm :
Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out your work :D

realbeautifulheart said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm:
Good portrayance of your emotion. I could totally understand what the main character was feeling. Love the end triumph.. We've all been there. Keep writing :)

Kateloveshim13 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:26 pm:
Hey..sorry about that down there..my computer went all wack! But you are an amazing writer! I love it!  :) Keep writing!

StringTheory said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm:
I love your desriptions of people and objects. I would just work on explaining more what's happening in the story. Great job!

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:05 pm:
Great job! You should do more things like this.

Kateloveshim13 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm:
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

Kateloveshim13 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm:

kaitlin96 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:40 am:

That was really good! You are an awesome writer! good job! :)

lenathetiger said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm:
Thank you/ 

TitleKubo said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:27 am:
I especially like this piece due to the fact that it is packed tight with emotion. Keep on writing!

DanielM said...
Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm:
I liked your story. I also liked your message and your tilte. My only suggestion is maybe writing a part two cause this was so good.

abbey92 said...
May 31, 2012 at 11:43 pm:
5 stars 

TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm:
Wow... I can really relate to this. But all i can say it don't care about what you care, care about the ones who really care for you the most.

TearsofJasmine said...
May 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm:
I wish I could say this kind of stuff to some people. Unlike your mom, they don't outright say it but I still want to scream it in their faces. Keep writing. Loved this(:

jocy80 said...
May 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm:

this is good but i think that u will get better after a while and i like how some people can relate to this

1234 said...
May 26, 2012 at 11:20 am:

“But I deserve to be me. I will never be that perfect child that you want me to be, but, listen mom, maybe its because I don’t want to be.”

These lines are Awesome......

i rated it 5 stars....

Breah said...
May 26, 2012 at 11:15 am:
 I love your description, and the emotions that you put into this peice. This peice leaves the reader wondering who "she" is, yet gives enough information to tell that this person is obviousley important in your life as you grow.

AbigailElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm:
I like it! It's good - you go girl!