Reign of Power

By Saphy BRONZE, Hollywood, California
Saphy BRONZE, Hollywood, California

Never forget to smile.

Even now, I hear her screeching voice shouting these words to me, “You are not perfect, and you never will be, but you at least have to try. No one can help you, but yourself.”

The age of four was the first time I heard it. Her face was as red as a tomato and I imagined smoke blowing out of her ears. I was dumb founded. Madly, I turned around, ran to my room, and buried my head in my pillow, tears streaming down my face. I sincerely hoped, “This must be a one time thing, she will never say it to me again.”

At the age of ten, I heard it again. I was so upset that I found one of her glass displays and shattered it everywhere, making sure that it could never be put back together. Tears no longer brang out my anger, but raging eyes with scorching flames replaced them.

A few minutes ago, I heard the same statement, “You are not perfect, and you never will be.” But, this time, I finished it for her, “But I deserve to be me. I will never be that perfect child that you want me to be, but, listen mom, maybe its because I don’t want to be.” I stood there, waiting for her to answer and strike the perfect comeback, but all I received was a nod as she turned away, knowing her reign of power had disappeared.

on Sep. 2 2012 at 12:52 pm
jnash123 BRONZE, Lexington, Georgia
I love this! Its so beautiful . Very well written.

Saphy BRONZE said...
on Jun. 8 2012 at 2:32 pm
Saphy BRONZE, Hollywood, California

Never forget to smile.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out your work :D

on Jun. 8 2012 at 2:06 pm
AriannaNicole PLATINUM, Palmyra, Missouri

A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.
Joyce A. Myers

I know how to relate to this poem. Beautiful and deep. Please check out putting on masks by me and maybe some of my other work. Thanks! Ps. Added Ur's to my favorites!

on Jun. 6 2012 at 6:58 pm
realbeautifulheart PLATINUM, Livermore, California

"Life is a package that you have to sign for. Yes, it's free. No, there's no guarantee as to what it holds. Open with caution, it's 'FRAGILE'." (I made this up.)

Good portrayance of your emotion. I could totally understand what the main character was feeling. Love the end triumph.. We've all been there. Keep writing :)

on Jun. 4 2012 at 11:26 pm
KateLovesMusicAndArt BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
Hey..sorry about that down there..my computer went all wack! But you are an amazing writer! I love it!  :) Keep writing!

StringTheory said...
on Jun. 4 2012 at 8:43 pm
I love your desriptions of people and objects. I would just work on explaining more what's happening in the story. Great job!

on Jun. 4 2012 at 6:05 pm
Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

Great job! You should do more things like this.

on Jun. 4 2012 at 6:03 pm
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

on Jun. 4 2012 at 6:03 pm

on Jun. 4 2012 at 7:40 am
kaitlin96 SILVER, Hemet, California

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”
-Benjamin Franklin

That was really good! You are an awesome writer! good job! :)

on Jun. 2 2012 at 6:27 pm
lenathetiger BRONZE, Columbia, Maryland

"Many (people) were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans."

Thank you/ 

Lafar SILVER said...
on Jun. 2 2012 at 9:27 am
Lafar SILVER, Paoli, Pennsylvania

It's okay to get an F. But in the greater scheme of things, nobody cares, especially when you get an ‘F’ in something that’s not reflected in the work you want to do.

I especially like this piece due to the fact that it is packed tight with emotion. Keep on writing!

DanielM SILVER said...
on Jun. 1 2012 at 8:19 pm
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington

"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

I liked your story. I also liked your message and your tilte. My only suggestion is maybe writing a part two cause this was so good.

abbey92 GOLD said...
on May. 31 2012 at 11:43 pm
abbey92 GOLD, Fremont, Nebraska

she smiles like she's so tough
she's just someones daughter waiting for some one to love her

never leave the one you love for the one you like because the one you like will leave you for the one they love

5 stars 

TaurusGal GOLD said...
on May. 30 2012 at 10:30 pm
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
Wow... I can really relate to this. But all i can say it don't care about what you care, care about the ones who really care for you the most.

on May. 27 2012 at 10:36 pm
TearsofJasmine SILVER, San Diego, California

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind," -Gandhi

I wish I could say this kind of stuff to some people. Unlike your mom, they don't outright say it but I still want to scream it in their faces. Keep writing. Loved this(:

jocy80 SILVER said...
on May. 26 2012 at 3:00 pm
jocy80 SILVER, Vista, California

better to write for yourself and have no public, thanto write for the public and have no self. Cyril Connolly

this is good but i think that u will get better after a while and i like how some people can relate to this

1234 said...
on May. 26 2012 at 11:20 am

“But I deserve to be me. I will never be that perfect child that you want me to be, but, listen mom, maybe its because I don’t want to be.”

These lines are Awesome......

i rated it 5 stars....

Breah BRONZE said...
on May. 26 2012 at 11:15 am
Breah BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because is happened."

I love your description, and the emotions that you put into this peice. This peice leaves the reader wondering who "she" is, yet gives enough information to tell that this person is obviousley important in your life as you grow.

on May. 25 2012 at 7:28 pm
AbigailElizabeth SILVER, Medina, Minnesota

"Scars are souvenirs you never lose" - Goo Goo Dolls

I like it! It's good - you go girl!

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!