He Said, She Said: The Note | Teen Ink

He Said, She Said: The Note

By Jennalynn SILVER, Montville, New Jersey
Jennalynn SILVER, Montville, New Jersey

"Where there is love, there is life."

She said: You didn’t leave a note. He said: I didn’t think I needed to. She said: You didn’t call or text. He said: I’m not five years old, I can handle myself. She said: You could at least give me a heads up of where you’re going and that you’re even leaving the house at all. He said: I don’t tell you because I don’t feel like being questioned. She said: What do you mean? He said: Every time I leave the house, you interrogate me like I’m some sort of criminal. She said: Well, maybe it’s because you act like one, always getting yourself into trouble. He said: How could you say that about me? I’m your only son. She said: Yes you are, and I’m scared to death of losing you. I can’t trust you, I never know where you are, and I have no clue what you’re doing. He said: Mom, calm down, I’ll be fine. She said: And how do I know that? You come home at ungodly hours reeking of alcohol! All the while, I’m worried sick that one of these days you’re not going to come home. He said: I’m not gonna run away. She said: I know that, but you could get into a car crash or some other type of accident! Honestly, what can I do? Punishments don’t seem to have any effect; I just don’t know what to do anymore. He said: I’m sorry. She said: I’ve failed, haven’t I? I’ve failed at being a mother, and I’ve failed you. He said: Please don’t cry, mom, you haven’t failed me. She said: This is just so hard, raising you on my own. He said: I know, and I certainly haven’t made things easy for you. She said: You can say that again. He said: Stop crying, please, everything is just fine. I promise I will leave a note next time. She said: That’s just it. I find it very hard to believe you. He said: Why? She said: Because you still think this all just about the note.

This is a flash-fiction story structured in a 'he said, she said' manner. Basically it is just two characters having a conversation.