I used to believe... | Teen Ink

I used to believe...

By Acts1338 PLATINUM, Audubon, Iowa
Acts1338 PLATINUM, Audubon, Iowa

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."-Bob Marley

I used to believe that the boy to tell me he loved me, really would, but then again, I never really loved him either. Then, I believed I would wait until I found a man that did love me. I didn’t, I found another boy who pretended he did. So, I decided to patiently await the arrival of my perfect true love. Another boy, another wait, it was an endless cycle. Well, I don’t believe I’ll find true love anymore.

I used to believe that everything would be okay eventually. It’s not, obviously. So I waited. I prayed. I met another boy. I didn’t like him, but that was before I thought I really got to know him. I still don’t really know him. I don’t really know anyone. Anyway, we were friends; that’s what I told myself. I told myself I had friends. I lied to myself a lot, didn’t I?

I used to believe that I could wait. I can’t. I’m impatient, ill tempered, and unprepared. I’m the loneliest place I’ve ever been. I read that once. It was me in a sentence. But, it’s sad here and wet because the tears don’t dry. The salt-water just gets higher and higher...My greatest fear has always been drowning.

I used to believe that I wouldn’t let myself get hurt anymore. I get hurt easily though, and the shield I hide behind, is thin as glass. So, I can see every pain that kills me. I can see every arrow they shoot at my heart with words heavier than sticks and stones. Now, I’m building a stone fortress where no one can come in. I just can’t leave the loneliest place I’ve ever been.