Afraid to fall | Teen Ink

Afraid to fall

By Jbohn GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Jbohn GOLD, South Plainfield, New Jersey

"You dont know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.." <3
"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"- My Coach
"Forget about the past, think about the present, and dream for your future."

I am afraid to fall. Afraid to take that first step, that jump, or that first leap. Who will catch me when I fall? My reckless mind conjures up random thoughts that are scrambling around in my head. The cooling night air push and flow against my hair, trying to make me lose my balance.
That nervous and scared feeling fill my stomach and chest. Listening and feeling the wind, I look up at the sky, watching it to see shooting stars fly by. You can barely see them shoot past you in the sky. They are there one second and gone the next. You close your eyes to make a wish and hope that it will come true.
The bats fly past my head eating the mosquitos that surround you and everyone else around you. One by one, they’ll pop out of a tree to hunt for their food. It’s like watching a show how many of them you see flying around.
Hearing wolves howl at the moon in the sky, I get ready to go. Still afraid to fall what looks like a long fall. Feeling my heart pounding like it’s going to pop out of my chest, I open my eyes. With adrenalin rushing through my body I jump.
Falling for what I thought would be a long scary fall only lasted no longer than three seconds. I plash into the refreshing cool water. Resurfacing from the water I take a deep breath. Feeling refreshed and better than ever, I swam back to land with my friends and cousins to jump back off the bridge again.