Too High a Price | Teen Ink

Too High a Price

By silverwolf63 BRONZE, Dunnville, Other
silverwolf63 BRONZE, Dunnville, Other

Galations 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

He stepped outside the bar and slowly closed the door. He glanced up noticing the glow of the streetlights reflecting off the quickly forming puddles. The rain was falling fast from the sky and exploding off the pavement. He shivered slightly and tugged his old leather jacket a little tighter around his body. He slowly walked to his red pickup and eased the door open. “Far too high a price” he said under his liquor scented breath. He turned the key and the truck let out a low rumble. On the first country road on the left he turned heading toward his girlfriend’s small farm. He pressed a little harder on the gas liking the sound coming from inside the truck. He surged forward continually adding more pressure to the pedal. This felt good. He didn’t care what common sense told him he didn’t care that his vision was blurred from the booze or that he was drifting from one side of the road to the other. He cared about the power, the fun. As he crested the hill the truck came to an abrupt stop. His head lurched forward and rebounded off the steering wheel with a thud. He didn’t even notice the warm blood, like a small flame slowly moving down his cheek. He didn’t notice the pain in his neck or his disgruntled fingers, he noticed the sleek small civic lying in front of him smoking and the eerie glow of the fire on the golden wheat beside the road. Slowly he opened the door he stood shocked looking directly in front of him. He could make out two forms hunched over the driver and passenger seats coated in blood. The rain stopped. It seemed like everything stopped. Then he noticed something. A small whimper arose from the vehicle lying in front of him. Taking one step at a time he finally came to the car and peered inside. The girls lay in unnatural positions, still. The flame of youth dowsed out. But what caught his eye was the child in the back face white and cheeks touched red. The boy sat staring, a single tear falling and exploding off the seat. He stepped back looking at his truck then back at the car. He could hear a high noise in the distance and glimpsed red and blue flashes coming closer. He shivered slightly and mumbled something. The liquor was too high a price indeed.

I am a 16 year old Christian who would love to get his work published somewhere.