Needs Soy This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“Welcome to Regina's! How may I help you?”

“Yeah, can I get the double cinnamon espresso with soy milk?”

“Sure. Anything else for you?”

“No, that'll do it.”

“All right. $2.06 is your total for today.”

Denna scanned her card and then went to her usual table by the window, opening up her laptop on the table and opening her latest work, as she typically called a “digital manuscript.” How many times had she read it meticulously, checking for the smallest errors? All of the long discussions and meetings with her editor, what had they amounted to? There was still something missing.

Denna sighed as she stared out the window overlooking the dock. There was always something missing.

“Double cinnamon espresso!”

She pulled herself up and retrieved her drink, sitting back in the cushy chair and relishing with her most inspiring drink. One sip and ideas flooded the realms of her mind.

That morning, all it did was flood her tastebuds with cinnamon and soy. Tangy. It couldn't possibly have been soy.

Had they screwed up her order again? This was the third time in a week. The third time in a row in a week.

Even with the odd and unexpected taste in her mouth, Denna finally came to the solution. All she needed was soy milk in her drink and she could finish.