The Silent Voice

A gentle, loving, and heartfelt song fell from her violin's strings as her bow danced across the strings, filling her dull and colorless room with lively, cheerful music that she thought could make the deaf hear again and paint her world with color. Her eyes were closed- her inky lashes brushing against her pillowy cheeks- as she followed the music, letting her fingers and bow do the talking for her.

She could hear a dog barking from outside, its high pitched yelps accompanying her violin. A soft smile lit her pale lips as she mouthed words to go with the melody of her violin.

Suddenly, a torturous melody fell from the violin as crashing from downstairs reached Gabriella's ears. Dark footsteps followed soon, their heavy sound ominously threatening as they slowly approached. Gabriella's eyes snapped open- revealing blue eyes the color of a peacock's dark coat- and her fingers froze up before she slowed the melody to a maddening pace, painting a picture of terror and fright, of painted faces- smiles stretched out in a gruesome grin- and pale hands with bloody talons reaching out to grab her. She opened her mouth in a silent scream as a shadow charged into her room and ripped the violin from her hands- grey eyes blazing with lust- and threw her against the wall, her wrist pinned above her head. Her breath deepened as a wet, familiar appendage dove into her mouth, teeth biting her pink lip teasingly and hands grabbing, ripping, clawing at her clothes. Gabriella flailed about- struggling in the iron tight grip around her waist- and put up a fight, like she always did, before slumping over like a broken rag doll and letting her older brother have his way.

If she could speak, she would have screamed for help a long time ago.

R/A/P/E.

------

Her beautiful blue eyes- which normally shined brightly- were a colorless milky blue as she strode into the high school, her shoulder slouched and her dirty brown bangs messily falling in her sunken face. Her ebony violin was slung over her shoulder like usual as she pushed open the glass doors to the building, a nauseous feeling in her stomach.

She buried her face further into the thick black scarf around her neck- carefully wrapped and tucked around her neck in order to hide the black and blue indents on her pale flesh- before hitching the violin case up on her shoulder and walking down the halls, her defensive shield around her heart up and running. Murmurs and whispers all ceased as heads snapped in the direction of her, the girls' eyes menacing and the boys' lecherous, all leering down at her. Gabriella flinched before hiding behind her curtain of hair and fleeing to her classroom- Music, her personal Heaven and haven of solitude- with eyes following her each step of the way.

Almost there.

She turned the corner and wished she could scream when she saw a familiar pair of stormy grey eyes staring down at her, and a lecherous smile on a pair of familiar pink lips. Arms tightened around her shoulder and waist and pulled her in, but she couldn't do anything but stare, horror written on her young face.

"Hello, baby sister," a masculine voice purred, causing Gabriella to tremble all over in fear. She kept her head down as tears ran down her colorless cheeks.

"..." She nodded to her brother- Lucifer- in acknowledgement as the fingers tightened on her shoulders, digging into her flesh and causing her to wince in pain. Gabriella bit her lip and swallowed the urge to flail in his arms. It would only make him angry.

"Why won't you let me hear your beautiful voice," Lucifer asked innocently as his fingers slid up to her now colorless cheek and caressed her- a fake, misleading smile painted on his lips.

Gabriella winced before averting her gaze, her eyes misty with tears that she refused to let fall down her face. She opened her mouth to speak but nothing tumbled out of her mouth besides her labored, deep breaths. Lucifer let out a disappointed sigh before releasing Gabriella and watching her collapse to the ground, his features twisting into something demonic, evil. Menacing.

"Looks like you'll have a punishment when we get home," he chuckled as his two friends sneered and howled with laughter, their beady eyes drinking in Gabriella's meek appearance like a pride of lions watching a wounded lamb.

Gabriella curled up into a protective ball and listened as their echoing laughter faded away, leaving behind a bitter remnant of the memory. The trail of tears dried on her face and she wiped the back of her hand across her cheeks, vowing never to let Lucifer's friends see her cry again.

"Gabriella?"

Her body tensed up automatically and she glanced up at the person leaning over her. Warm green eyes stared back at her, their focus on the blotches of purple and black on her shoulders. Gabriella's body immediately relaxed and she gave her best friend, Michael Nottingham, an uneasy smile.

Michael smiled weakly back, his gaze falling on the scarf. His expression hardened, the light glinting with anger, as he crouched down beside Gabriella and stared her in the eyes.

"He hurt you again, didn't he," his soft voice muttered before calloused hands shot out to gently finger the fleece scarf. Gabriella nodded slowly as Michael crouched beside her shook with contained anger. "Gabriella... You have to tell someone what he's done."

Gabriella frowned and shook her head defiantly, her blue eyes gaining fire. She would never tell. She'd keep this secret with her to the grave. She extended her hand and stared up at Michael pleadingly, her eyes shining with unshed tears. He complied, his hands reaching out to pick Gabriella up and steady her on her feet again. It was the same thing everyday.

"..." Gabriella pointed at her book bag, which was sprawled on the floor with all its contents spilled out. She stared up at him with puppy dog eyes, her lips quivering in a perfectly orchestrated pout. Michael glared at her playfully before crouching over and snatching her brown messenger bag off the dirty hallway floors.

He wouldn't push her to tell him. Not now. Not ever. Until the day her silenced voice was unlocked from that dark place Lucifer sent it, Michael could only wait until Gabriella's voice was set free to fly again.

hannahbananasplitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:24 pm:
All I can say is, oy, poor kid. Is she a selective mute? Is her brother's name really Lucifer, or is that a title in her mind? You've really brought out what she feels in this piece.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm:
OOO...wow. Amazing.

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm :
(PLEASE say this isn't based on personal experience...))