Picture Yourself as a Cloud | Teen Ink

Picture Yourself as a Cloud

By Iceebreaker2 SILVER, Murrieta, California
Iceebreaker2 SILVER, Murrieta, California

Good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.

"Can you do it?Can you picture yourself as a cloud?" Zane whispered.
"Imagine yourself. As free as those clouds. Winding your way through the breeze, and the sun. The feeling you'll get as you soar through the skies. Imagine being up there, nothing holding you here to earth."
I looked up at the clouds from our spot on the ground. I saw them racing past each other and felt the wind in my hair, a yearning to be free like that.
"Yes," i replied softly as the light danced off the clouds.
i turned my head to see him smiling to himself. Not a real big smile, but it was still there and gave me hope.
"Come on." he said standing, tossing his hood over his head again, ashamed of it.
He offered his hand and i took it.
We walked to the pier and sat with our legs dangling, the waves lapping at our feet. I could feel the eyes of his nurse on us. I knew she was required to be here, but it bothered me, reminded me.
We returned the front doors of the hospital after the sun had set.
"See you tomorrow Mia." He said as i kissed him gently on the head before he disappeared inside with the nurse behind him.
That was yesterday. This is today as i stand perched on cliff reliving our last moments together.
Recalling how he squeezed my hand when i kissed him. Remembering his promise of tomorrow.
Knowing that there will never be another tomorrow.I step back from the edge, away from the drop that will take me back to him and my family. The thing is, there is nothing holding me here anymore.
Nothing.
'He died last night honey.' I think to myself as I rock back onto my heels remembering the nurse this morning.
As i lean onto my toes I recall running out of the hospital, past his family and straight to the pier.
As i take off sprinting, tears in my eyes, i remember the moment we found out he had cancer.'Can you picture yourself as a cloud?
Imagine yourself as free as those clouds. Winding your way through the breeze, and the sun, the feeling you'll get as you soar through the skies. Imagine being up there, nothing holding you here to earth.'
I scream as I fly over the edge and into the sky with them.

I got the idea for this piece when i saw the most amazing picture of clouds. just clouds and i thought 'it must be amazing up there.'