Ready or Not | Teen Ink

Ready or Not

January 14, 2012
By kelseyjean13 PLATINUM, Huntertown, Indiana
kelseyjean13 PLATINUM, Huntertown, Indiana
26 articles 5 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain"


I took a deep breath and looked over a Christopher. We were in this together. I had no doubt about that. He promised me that we would stay together, no matter what. I was only seventeen years old, but I knew deep in my heart that I was ready for a change. The bruise on my face was just turning yellow and I was ready to put it behind me. It’s not like mom would miss me anyway. She wanted rid of me, she had said so plenty of times.

I saw the old train whistle from a few yards back and I grabbed Christopher’s hand firmly without looking back. I was ready for a future. I was ready for my life to really begin.

“Ready?” Christopher whispered in my ear ever so gently. I slowly nodded with my eyes closed, picturing a better life for us. He kissed the top of my head and we bored the train like everyone else. I sat down at the first empty seat. I didn’t feel like a runaway. I didn’t feel like a high school dropout. I didn’t feel like I was running away from my family with my boyfriend. It just felt as if I was on a trip; on some kind of vacation. I let myself believe this the whole way there. Christopher hadn’t told me where exactly we were going, so I just sat there and enjoyed the burning colors of the autumn scenery.

“Lucy, Lucy wake up. We’re here.” Christopher nudged me awake.

“Where are we?” I opened my eyes, groggily. I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep. Everyone was already getting off the train. We were the only ones left.

“Better grab a jacket, this is the windy city you know.” he said with a smile and a cheesy wink.

“Chicago!?” Christopher knew me so well. My whole life I have wanted to go to Chicago; the music, the commotion, the food! I kissed him hard on the lips and jumped up to grab my one and only bag.

“I knew you’d love it.” He said as we were getting off the train.