Self(Conclusion) Part 1 | Teen Ink

Self(Conclusion) Part 1

December 19, 2011
By darthhater90776 BRONZE, Duluth, Georgia
darthhater90776 BRONZE, Duluth, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Katherine
What’s going on?

Diane
Maybe you should sit down.
Katherine
Just tell me what’s going on.

Diane
Alright. When you guys left for the boardwalk your father went to take a nap and you mother… your mother said she was going out to the car, [pause] but she left without the keys.

Diane
Sorry your father, woke up two hours later, she still wasn’t back from the “car.” He went out to look for her and found her at the bar next block down drinking wine. [Katherine seethes] Yeah. When he saw her he was enraged he grabbed her purse and walked off, obviously taking something from a drunk never ends well. She tackled him on the boardwalk screaming that he stole her purse. Two large men came over and grappled the purse back from him. He screamed that they were giving money to a drunk but they replied it’s still her purse. After that he called me and told me what happened he said he was leaving. I assume you got that call too?
[ Katherine nods]

[Katherine Flashes Back]

Katherine’s Mother
You nasty little b****! You only think of yourself, self-centered skank! You want me to die because all you have is hatred in your heart; you hate everything, because you’re evil, that’s all you are! Evil little witch!

[Flash Back Ends]

Katherine
She’s gone violent…

Diane
Yes.

Katherine
I’ve been waiting five years for this to happen, since I was eleven I’ve been afraid she’d start hitting us. I just don’t get it.

Diane
What’s not to get? She’s an alcoholic.

Katherine
She has everything! EVERYTHING! Her husband loves her, kids, a dog, a house, everything she could ask for! But it’s not good enough. Nothing is. And I’m there to deal with it. Every night I tuck her in after her drunken rages. I’m the one who begs her to stop, who cares for my brother. And she feels alone. I’m alone. But not anymore, things are about to change.
OPENING CREDITS



INT SCHOOL HALLWAY
Molly is at her locker, the door is open and all the camera can see her body, her face is hidden by the door. A book is placed into the bag, hair is combed into place, and Molly closes the door to be standing face to face with Chase.
Molly
Oh, hi…Chase…? Um, it’s Chase right? Not like Chaseronni or- (Chase gives confused look.) Never mind. Heheh. (Shocked that there is someone there and that it is a cute boy)

Chase
(Not amused) Um, right. (Under his breath.) Whatever. So Bree is throwing a party, I figured you and you friend Katie-

Molly
Katherine.

Chase
Katherine, yeah her. You guys should come.

Molly
She can’t, she’s gone... (Seems upset.)

Chase
Oh, she seems like a downer anyways, ya know. Not the party type. (Winks) But I bet you are (once over) so since you’re gonna be all alone. Why don’t you come with me?
(Comes closer to her. Meanwhile Molly is so entranced that a boy is talking to her that she completely ignores the fact that he pretty much just insulted her and her best friend)

Molly
Can’t wait. (Smiles)

Chase
So… is that a yes?

*flashback to the previous year where Katherine is talking about Chase*
Katherine and Molly are sitting in the courtyard chatting when Chase walks by with a girl on each arm.
Katherine
If only those girls had a clue. I don’t know what it is about that guy; something about him is just so…shifty. I don’t trust him. How girls can fall for…that. (Gestures to him)

Molly
(in mocking tone)Because I’m Chase and I get all the babes that glance my way, I spend my nights partying and flirtin’ up anything with two legs, everyone loves me because I’m hot and cool and oh so popular. (Actually likes it…whimsical) One glance into these beautiful eyes and they’ll be lost in me forever. (Both laugh, Chase catches Molly’s eye, they have a glance, she smiles)

Katherine
Oh, no.

Molly
What?

Katherine
I saw that look.

Molly
Wha-

Katherine
(Waves it off) I don’t want to hear your excuse (laughs.) Whatever!

Molly
Oh Kat, please you know he’d be the last person I’d ever think of doing anything with. It takes a lot for me to fall under spell. (Katherine raises her eyebrows in a disbelieving sense)
*flashbacks to Molly and Chase*
Molly
Uh, (pause) definitely. (Smiles the same smile from the flashback.)
INT KAT’S BEDROOM

Meg: Hey.

(Kat is red her face is stained in tears from earlier.)
Kat: Oh, hi Meg…

Meg:
I’m really sorry this has happened to you. (Kat nods weakly.) (Pause.) You’re really brave you know. You’re not afraid to stand up for yourself, even if no one else is on your side. You can stand alone…and you’ll win in the end.

Kat:
Thank you, (sniffles) god, you’re going to make me cry again. (Giggles)

Meg:
Are you hungry?

Kat:
Sure, (smiles) why?

Meg:
Because…they opened a P.F. Changs down the street, and I mean, I like P.F. Changs. You could like it too…

Kat:
(Laughs) Okay.

Meg:
Really?

Kat:
Yeah of course!

Meg:
Swez! This is awesome!

(Begin to walk out the door.)

Kat:
What does swez mean?

Meg:
Oh it’s like cool.
(Both laugh and walk off.)
INT FOYER OF HOUSE
It is the midst of Briana’s party. You see Molly and Chase enter, Chase whispers into Molly’s ear and leaves her. Briana comes up from the other side. She is obviously drunk.
Briana
Heyyy girll you made it! (Looks around) Wherrre’s your boy tooy?
Molly
Uh... he…
Brianna
Already lost him? Huh, he’ll come back eventually. Here (hands her a drink) this will help.
Molly
Um, it’s okay (trying to get Briana back on her own feet) that’s really not my thing…
Brianna
School isn’t my thing but I do it anyway….don’t you want Chase to come back?
Molly
Well ya, I mean…
(Looks at Briana)
I guess one won’t hurt…
Briana
That’s the spirit!
Cuts to later in the party, and Molly is dancing crazy and flinging herself all over Chase…with a drink in hand.


The following monologue will be a voice over as the following directions are taking place.
Kat:
Dear, Molly. The world is different now…and since you haven’t been picking up your phone, I decided I’d write you, like they used to a long time ago. I can’t believe how different things are right now, from what they were a week ago. I never thought things would change for me, but as miracle would have it they have. Maybe the world was ready for a change, and what’s funny about change is that you have to fight for it, every day. You have to fight for what you want, you have to know when you’re worth more than what you have or what you get, and you have to remind people of what you’re worth or even you’ll forget, like I did. I know that in time, I’ll get my life back to where it needs to be, because every time I look out my window I see thousands of lights burning brightly, and cheering me on. They twinkle and shine in dozens of different colors, just like the stars, only manmade, city stars. They’re my hope, that trading my old life for whatever this one has to offer me, is the right choice, but I’ll miss you. Write back to me. Your best friend plus five hundred miles, Katherine.


INT-BRIANA’S HOUSE
The camera pans over the scene where you see a trashed housed… there are red solo cups everywhere and trash everywhere. It then focuses on a bed where it zooms in on Molly, she is sleeping on her side. You then see an arm come around to grab her and the head pops up..it is Chase. They continue to sleep together. The sheets are covering them but the lack of closing is evident… they are still both sleeping. Then you hear Molly’s phone buzz, it is Katherine calling, groggy Molly reaches out and presses the ignore button. Then the screen reveals, “one missed voicemail”. Molly puts it down and rolls back over facing Chase. Black out.