The Unexpected Truth

Who cares about her? As far as I remember, she’s always been annoying, bossy, and mean. My life would be so much better without her.
I glared at the family photo above my desk. Why did I get dropped into a family with such an obnoxious sister? What did I do wrong that caused me to end up here?

Groaning, I plopped onto my bed and tugged the covers over my head. Even with the blanket, I could distinguish the thunderous slamming of my sister’s door across the hall. At least she’ll be leaving for boarding school tomorrow. I’ll be able to have a peaceful 8th grade school year.

I angrily turned out my lamp just before a wave of exhaustion swept over me. Before I knew it, I was in a completely different world.

I woke up to the smell of the usual back-to-school breakfast: bacon, eggs, and toast. Rushing down to the kitchen, I was surprised to find that my older sister, Megan, was not already slouched on the sofa, munching her meal.

“Does Megan have swimming again this year?” I asked my mom, who was frying three eggs. The only time that I didn’t see my sister in the mornings was when she had to leave for school before I even woke up.

“Your dad’s dropping her off to boarding school today. Remember?” my mom replied, tossing the perfect eggs onto a plate.

An enormous grin spread across my face. I couldn’t believe it. Megan, my worst enemy, was finally out of the house.

I didn’t even try to contain my excitement as I gobbled down the meal.

After school, when I returned home, I joyfully tossed my backpack on the floor, and sprinted upstairs to my room. Freedom awaited me. No one was going to ‘borrow’ my belongings; no one would thrust open the door to tell me to be quiet. I laid across the bed and enjoyed the silence.

Suddenly, I realized that I had nothing to do. I didn’t want to start my homework, but there was nothing else to occupy me. Usually, my sister and I would tease each other after school. To be honest, it was quite amusing.

With nobody to make fun of, I had no choice but to retrieve my backpack and begin homework.

The next morning, as I ate my waffles, I realized that without my sister, my life was completely boring. Being the only child in the house, I felt isolated as well. Before, whenever my parents excluded their kids, I always had Megan, so I never felt left out. Now, I was the only child, and I was constantly lonely. Although I would never think of my sister’s disappearance as negative before, now I am dying for her to come home again.

“When’s the next time Megan can come back home?” I desperately asked my mom, who was eating across from me.

She appeared to be genuinely surprised by the question. After all, Megan and I had fought just a couple nights ago.

“She’ll be coming home for five days during Thanksgiving. If you really want, we can go visit her on Labor Day.”

“Of course! Thanks mom, I can’t wait!” I spoke truthfully and reminded myself to mark my calendar.