Mauve This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I cake on charcoal eyeliner and black-to-gray eyeshadow. My mascara-laced lashes are weighted down with sticky midnight black puree that supposedly accentuates my beauty in some way. I know I do not look good; I look normal. I blend in, almost as well as my charcoal eyeliner blends in, fading into my skin flawlessly.

I found my mother's old lipstick yesterday – it's called “mauve” but it looks more like the world's loveliest combination of dust and blood. I would never put that on my face; I'm above that. I'm above mauve.

One day I'm not going to wear any makeup. After all, this isn't right for me; it even feels wrong. I'm not the type to cake on eyeliner and mascara and straighten my hair until it steams. This is a phase – just a phase. I wasn't born this way. I wasn't raised this way.

This will pass.

I look toward the mirror. Something is off. My eyes are finished beautifully; they look dark, mysterious, and five times larger than they are in actuality. My foundation is smooth, my blush is understated yet visible, and my hair is neat as a pin. I squint, now, and finally I see it: my lips are bare. Naked. It feels wrong.

I pull my mother's lipstick out of the makeup drawer where I carefully set it this time yesterday morning, and I slip it open, eliminating from my concern the classic old makeup odor that emanates from its core. I smooch my lips and smooth it on, realizing that I have confirmed my submission to the enemy. I'm lost; I'm hopeless. Conformity has sucked me into its powerful world, and I have no way to escape its rule.

I've sunken to the level of mauve.

TasalynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so beautiful!! I absoulutly love it! Haha and this is why I'm afraid to wear to much makeup :)

LongLazyDays55 said...
Hello raindance72, LongLazyDays55 here. I heard you wanted people to read your work. That was amazing. I loved this poem. I liked how you didn't tell people exactly what it was about. I like when you have to read something to understand the subject. Keep writing! :)

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! Although I wouldn't call this a poem, I appreciate your feedback and I'm glad you liked it! :)

LongLazyDays55 replied...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:36 am
I'm so sorry! I forgot I was reading realistic fiction. Sorry about that! :)

purplequeen said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:23 am
Hi raindancegirl this is purplequeen i love this piece it is really inspiring and incredibly well written it was certainly deserved to be published it would be great if you can read mine and try to comment nicely on it.

Indilove said...
May 1, 2012 at 7:59 am
This is so inspiring and full of great visualization keep up the good work!!!

raindancegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback and am super excited to be in the mag! :)

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow. great article:)

NeVassa said...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:31 am
Brilliant. :)

Sakshi K. said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:15 am
I didn't think I would likeit not being the make-up girl kind but it was so well written that I found myself enjoying it. Well done!

iWriter365 said...
Love it :) NICEEE

rainbowbutterflyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thats really really good

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is a pretty simple story, though it's well written. I can definitely relate to the character's feelings.

Thank you. I would hardly call it a story myself, although I don't know what _to_ call it. I'll just call it a "piece", that's how I refer to these funny little fragments of mine! Thanks for commenting. :)

AlaskaGrownThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is amazing :)

otherpoet said...
Actuality... i love that word! Anyway, this piece is great! I think you did a faboulos job of capturing the mindset of so many girls. Thanks for writing!

How I love it when my work is called "fabulous!" Thanks so much, I'm glad you liked it. Actuality is one of my favorite words! :) Thank you for commenting!

ButterflySoulGirl said...
i absolutely love your writing!!!

Illuminatus replied...
Dec. 10, 2011 at 8:04 am

really nice and congos on gettin the editors choice !!!!

Thanks guys! My first Editor's Choice piece :)