Touch | Teen Ink

Touch

November 22, 2011
By Only,I PLATINUM, Taylorville, Illinois
Only,I PLATINUM, Taylorville, Illinois
45 articles 17 photos 123 comments

Favorite Quote:
This too shall pass.


Forever and a day you said. Our pinkies intertwined at the age of four. You said that we’d concur the world. Become king and queen. At sixteen we slept under the stars in the forest behind your house. You kissed me there, for the first time. Dirt and leaves in my hair. I was under you and you kissed me. All of me. You were the one who knew. The only one who knew. I handed you my heart and said be careful and you promised that you would be.

I drove by today. It was raining and I thought back to when we graduated and as soon as we all walked out of the school the sky opened up and rain poured over us all. You looked at me and smiled. You said, “Here is to the first day of the rest of our lives.” I said, “Yes, yes it is.” and I kissed you hard on the mouth. Then you got on one knee and handed me that diamond ring and said, “Susan, will you marry me? I couldn’t imagine going a day without you. Not now, and hopefully not in 50 years.” The whole world stopped in that moment and I think that everyone was staring at us, at me. Awaiting my answer as eagerly as you. I cried and slipped that cold ring onto my finger and prayed to God that it wasn’t a mistake. One year later I’m covered in lace and flowers walking down a silk carpet to you. You had the biggest smile on your face and I swear I saw a tear in your eye as my father placed my hands in yours. We said, “I do.” and the whole room cried.


The author's comments:
Something I am working on,