"Skipping" a short story | Teen Ink

"Skipping" a short story

November 22, 2011
By j.s.tucker GOLD, Eden, North Carolina
j.s.tucker GOLD, Eden, North Carolina
13 articles 0 photos 13 comments

“What if we get caught?” I asked, nervously looking around us.


“We won’t get caught Ashely. Jeez calm down you can be such a goody two shoes, Morgan said while rolling her eyes. We walk to up the stairs to the top floor of the school and go into the bathroom. We sit in different stalls beside each other.


“So we’re just going to sit here for 45 minutes?” I ask.


“Well if you have a better idea please feel free to make a suggestion,” Morgan says. I can here the annoyance in her voice. We sat in silence for a while. I took out my book and read for a little while. I could hear her fingers tapping away on the keyboard to her phone.


“Ashe I need to tell you something,” Morgan says


“What is it?” I ask.

“I’ve never told anyone before so you better keep your mouth shut,” Morgan says. I can here hostility in her voice. I can also here tears.

“Yeah, yeah of course what is it Morgan?”

“When I went to visit my aunt and uncle over the summer we went to sixth grade, he raped me. No one else was home and he said if I ever told anyone no one would believe me and he would kill me. Then he just acted like it never happened, and so did I, she finished. I got up quickly from my stall and opened the door to hers.

“We have to tell someone Morgan. We can’t let him get away with what he did to you,” I said.

“No Ashely. This is exactly why I never told you. Just leave it alone,”
She pleaded.

“But why?” I asked. “He can’t hurt you. You would feel better if you talked to someone about it and that monster was in jail,” I said, appalled to why she wouldn’t want justice for what had happened to her. She got up quickly and slammed me against the wall, there were tears streaming down her face.

“Because it hurts to bad,” she said. “You don’t know what it was like to kick and scream and wonder why no one would help you. Hoping and praying that someone would come home and stop him. You have no idea how that felt so mind your own business and keep your mouth shut. It was a mistake telling you,” she said. At that moment the bell rang and she quickly grabbed her things. When she was close to the door she looked back and gave me an evil look and stormed out of the bathroom.

I had no clue what I would do. Or if I could do anything. Skipping had been a mistake.