Alternative

First of all, I’m not a tomboy. I’m just not a girly-girl like the others in my grade. I mean, what the hell is the point of wearing these stupid, prissy little dresses and slathering on fifteen layers of makeup when the idiot boys at school don’t even notice?

Bella, my best friend, agrees with me. We’re the only two out of about a hundred freshmen girls that don’t believe in dressing up every day just to impress some oblivious boys that aren’t even worth it anyway.

The other girls say we’re weird. They say we’re lesbians and prostitutes and other things I’m not going to repeat. We used to let it bother us, but now we can easily ignore them. Why do we care what they think, anyway?

I don’t like being called a tomboy, a lesbian, or a prostitute. Bella and I prefer the term “alternative”. I think it’s the perfect description for us. While the other girls will dance around delicately in their glittery prom dresses and hazardous stilettos, we’ll be having real fun in converse and t-shirts.

Don’t think we were always like this. No one already knows who they’re going to be. So, yeah, I’ll admit that in fifth grade Bella and I went to some sleepovers, wore the same types of clothes as everyone else. But that was before we bridged the gap into middle school, before all the girls started having “boyfriends” and spending hours every morning applying their makeup. Bella and I are not those types of people, and somehow that bothers them.

Maybe that pleases me a little. I mean, there is the small chance that those girls are deep-down jealous of the fact that Bella and I are unique and have the ability to express themselves, unlike the Barbie clones.

I love being alternative.

pageturnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
cool article. i love how you summarized your opinion. i think i'm kinda of torn between being girly and tomboy myself

savemyidentity said...
Wow, great job! There were a few more cliches used in this article than I'd like to see, like the trite archetype of high school girly-girls, but I liked it anyway. I'm happy that you've chosen a free lifestyle that is unbound from the chains of social pressure :) Please check my work out!

LifesIllusion said...
love it! this reminds me a lot of high school. well done. check out my work? thanks!

natty5 said...

"While the other girls will dance around delicately in their glittery prom dresses and hazardous stilettos, we’ll be having real fun in converse and t-shirts."

I love this sentence!

spiritiris replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 12:57 pm :
Aw, thank you!

natty5 replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm :
No problem!(: Check out my story if you get the chance!

blueandorangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this!  And I totally agree!

DanaChele said...
I love it! Sounds just like high school to me!

spiritiris replied...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm :
Yeah, thanks! I love perspective pieces....especially ones like these or ones that explain to adults why teens are so crazy :).