A Dead Girl's Eyes | Teen Ink

A Dead Girl's Eyes

The mirrors stretch across the entire length of my new walls. I had told my parents that I didn’t want them to redo my room—they already paid too much in my medical bills. I only wanted one thing, and that was to be left alone. That wasn’t going to happen now. In every direction, I saw a thousand pieces of me.
Surely there had to have been a mistake, maybe a trick of the nonexistent light. It couldn’t have been me, sitting alone in the darkness. I didn’t always used to look like this, I thought as I studied my reflections.
My blankets were pooled around at my ankles. I could never decide whether or not to pull them over me. I didn’t want to see my body, yet at the same time, I felt like I was hiding the truth if I couldn’t see myself.
Surely this isn’t me, I thought again, squinting in the dark room. The girl in the glass squinted back, a look of distaste and despair mixing itself on her face. She looks at my limbs, the spindly, starved attachments. My fingers, which used to play piano so well. Now, they would barely move unless I forced them to. She stared at my hair, which flowed past my ribcage for the sake of half covering it up. Then at my nightshirt, which was huge on me for a good reason.
Her eyes travel upwards, as do mine. They rest on each other’s lips. The lips that had previously made such a beautiful sound, though nothing went through them anymore except for the dry sound of thin breathing.
My eyes continue to travel upwards, but then look away in a flash. I don’t want to meet her eyes, nor she mine. The horrible mirrors, though, they won’t hear of such a thing. Everywhere I look, I’m met by their glances.
Be brave.
I steel myself to look up, and hold the gaze. And in hundreds of repeated reflections, I look into a dead girl’s eyes.
My eyes were close to the only thing that hadn’t been invaded by illness. The blue still stood out in a shocking contrast to my pale face. They were the color of the ocean, with sandy flecks and silvery streaks. However, they had fallen short. After the irises closed, tiny red lines fanned out in all directions. They shone in the face of death, hot wires that would practically define me. Or curse me.
“I am you,” The girl says, for the first time. She doesn’t have a great voice, but it was better than I would have expected by looking at her.
“You are me,” I mutter back. They look at me curiously, and I am slightly conscious of the fact that my surroundings are darkening.
“You should get to sleep,” one of the girls mutters. I know she’s right.
Because tomorrow, I’m going to have to wake up and pretend that I’m going to get better.

Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

\"She\'s got it out for me BUT I WEAR THE BIGGEST SMILE"

Why thank you, flyjay! wait, you don't think they'll get better? pessimist.

SophiaWood GOLD, New City, New York
This is good. I especialy like how she has to pretend things are getting better.

Wonderment DIAMOND, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Wow! This is so amzing. The discription is wonderful the emotuions are easily redible a love for me.

DarkPrince BRONZE, Gap, Pennsylvania

Life is easy. People are hard.

This is so full of emotion. I love it! Keeping writing with your heart, and it can't go wrong!

RaveFire PLATINUM, Vancouver, Washington

"Sometimes You Have To Give Up Your Life To Save It." ~some book that i don't remember the name of

"Live Life Like There's No Yesterday" ~ random billboard

"If No One Can Hurt You, Then Nobody Loves You" ` ~ Kerli?

maybe anorexia maybe just realizing who you are and that its not who you want to be. being scared of yourself might not be normal but its something i can relate to way too well. its a great piece of writing. 5 stars. i love it... (favorited)

dbk1098 PLATINUM, Rockville, Maryland
Love it!!! sooo full of passion and expresssion!

Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

Thank you so much!!!

AmieeHope-Sierra GOLD, Royston, Georgia

And There Will Come A Time, You'll See, With No More Tears. And Love Will Not Break Your Heart, But Dismiss Your Fears.

I'm speechless amazing!

AmieeHope-Sierra GOLD, Royston, Georgia

Amazing i;m speechless

Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

Thanks a lot!um. As to what she has, i took a creative liberty there. i'm not exactly sure what... A lot of people think anorexia, so you can think that if you want :)

yaythisisavailable GOLD, Simpsonville, South Carolina
Wow! This is REALLY good! I love it! Is the girl sick? Is the girl in the mirror a metaphor for her conscience? You left some unanswered questions and it makes it even better!

Akane-Ree BRONZE, New City, New York

thanks everyone! means a lot to me <3

Paradise_Lost BRONZE, Mountville, Pennsylvania

But paradise is locked and bolted; we must make a journey around the world to see if the back door has, perhaps, been left open.

Swearing is the last refuge of the imaginitively bankrupt.

Amazing!     

Think4Ever said...
Think4Ever, Oxford, Alabama

"We loved with a love that was more than love."

Fantastic! <3

Bgeekgirl24 GOLD, Bellefontaine, Ohio

Eat healthy. Excersize daily. Die anyway.

I love this!

MidnightNow1127 GOLD, Brentwood, California

"Christus nos liberavit!"

Wow..... this was..... powerful. Amazingly well written and sad. I... guess I enjoyed it, in the sense of the word. Wow.....