Look Up For Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Do you ever get that feeling?”
Luke glances up from his chemistry textbook.

“What? What feeling?”

“You know. That feeling.”

“Wh--oh.”

“No. Not that. Just … I don't know … never mind.”

Luke drops his book on the wooden table separating us. He's finally focused on me, which is all I have wanted since the moment we met a year ago. I feel a burning heat trickle down my neck, and I hate myself for that. I feel exposed; when your own skin reveals your true feelings, you can never hide.

“No. Go on. What feeling?”

“Well …” I decide to ask him, “Do you ever feel like you're sitting in a crowded room – I mean, not like claustrophobic crowded but like crowded enough to feel a little uncomfortable – and everyone is talking and you scream. You scream so loud you feel like the sound reverberations might cause your throat to explode. You just keep screaming, but no one even looks up. Do you ever feel like that?”

“Are you asking if I ever feel invisible?”

He isn't listening to me.

“No. Do you ever feel like that? Like what I just described.” Luke's eyes roll around in their sockets. He says “no” firmly, then picks up his chemistry textbook.

I say, “Oh, okay,” but before the second syllable can even escape my mouth, Luke cuts me off.

“You know, you're really weird. And you say ‘like' a lot.” He gives me a look that I interpret as: I knew you were weird, but don't be weird around me.

So I do something I've only dreamed about doing, something I wish I'd always had the courage to do.

“You know, I feel like that sometimes,” I say. “I feel like I'm screaming, and no one looks up. But I think everyone feels like that. Sometimes, you just gotta scream.”

He isn't listening to me. His eyes are glued to chemistry, and he ­doesn't even like chemistry. I'm tired of this bullsh*t.

So I scream. And he looks up.

SilverSunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:34 am:
This was really good. I liked the part when she screamed at the end, you created a very strong character, which is what many stories lack.

Katie-jo said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm:
This was so awesome! I loved it!

justkeepswimming said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm:
nice job....:)

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:52 pm:
I never thought that simple could be so amazing! And yes, I can definately relate to this. Thank you for writing something this wonderful and relatable to...I might start doing that: screaming...maybe then someone will finally look up and see me.

TheShyOne This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm:
Flash-fiction can be really challenging, but this is stellar. Funny and quirky and kind of adorkable. Perfect. :) 

patrycja_lidia said...
Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm:
its so good ! simple but effective, i cant write to this effect with the use of dialogue like you 8) so really well done

Sarah555 said...
Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm:
very interesting... i like the dialogue in this, it works well!

Aduke9 said...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm:
Thank you for this!

tammysaurus101 said...
Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm:
definitely i can totes relate to this 

AlexEvansTM replied...
Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:35 pm :
This is good, there is no other way to describe it.

lou205 said...
Jun. 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm:
so real!! i like it!!

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:02 am:
i love this - it was really great! the end was the best part. i feel like doing that all the time.

IfYoureMad-KillWithKindness said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
I love that aNd it's so true. Plus, I'm totally going to try that on my last day. I also made me laugh at the end. :) so keep it up!

shreikingluv said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:17 am:
I feel like that at times. I loved the story. Keep it up. 

StacyxGonzales said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm:
Amazing! I love it~
That is true though, sometimes I want to scream :3

Dreamer7697 said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
Now that is what I call I amazing:) Can you check out some of mywork it would be greatly apprecaited thanks!?

JulieKateThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm :
I would love to read your work! Thank you for such kind words! 

the3rdkindThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm:
LOVED the strong ending! so powerful.

la-petite-fleur said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:58 am:
I like it. Short, but strong. 

KenyaLove41This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:48 pm:
That was amazing! Good, simple and straight forward very relatible(: