White | Teen Ink

White

By Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia
Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia

"Sometimes people leave you...halfway through The Wood. Do not let it grieve you...No one leaves for good. You are not alone, for no one is alone." -Into The Woods

People stare as I walk past them, averting their eyes from my strangely colored ones. The off purplish irises that are one of my unique traits, besides extremely pale skin and white blond hair. My body is covered in dark clothing, shielding me from the sunny days and perfect beaches of South Florida. With my hands in my pockets, I walk along the boardwalk until I reach a stand that sells cotton candy. I decide to buy some fairy floss.

I watch as the perfect sugar crystals are poured in, creating thin spools of delicate thread that are spun into a sugary treat. My mouth slightly waters, but I can faintly hear a rustling behind my ears. I turn around, only to be drug backwards into a shallow ditch where the sand has blown away, being beat senseless into the ground. And I've seen these guys before.

'Hey yo Whitey,' I can smell cigarettes on his breath, 'Stay outta our territory, you dig? If you don't, we'll give some hurt on you, understand?'

I was too afraid to say that I wouldn't leave. But, they keep on beating me. And hitting me, scratching my face with their nails. It's almost dusk, and I could hear no one coming to help me. Well, it's because I can barely hear at all. Not many people have ever registered that fact, and the fact that I'm an albino. I suddenly felt myself being picked up off the ground, and being carried away. I sighed, feeling the familiar warmth of his chest. Dylan had come to save me.

'Luce, please don't say those are the same guys. If they are then I'll really have them face charges, you know? It's just not-' I put a finger to his lips, stopping is words.

'It's not fair, and it never will be. It's a fact of life. I'll be like this forever, and you'll still be the muscular, tan fellow who saves lives every day. I'm going to be clad in black forever, you know?' He put me in his Jeep, intending to drive me home. I shake my head. I still have a little bit of fight left in me. I'm going to make them pay for what they did.

Wiping my mouth with my hand, I run back down the walkway to see them in a small circle, sipping tequila. Perfect. Creeping up behind the tall one, Luise, I grab the collar of his jacket and throw him backward. He's too drunk to notice that his face in down in the sand, where my body had once been at his mercy. I kick him in the face, in the head, in the mouth, wanting him to taste blood too. He finally surrenders, running away with his tail between his legs.

I felt proud of myself. Wiping the sand off my jeans, I start my way back up to the vendor. I order a chocolate bar.

'Dark or white?' I knew the answer right away.

'White. And can I get some cotton candy too?'

I go home in the Jeep, with Dylan, and with a few cuts and bruises from my epic battle. I ate away at the candy, feeling the sweetness envelope my mouth. I am white, I am an albino, but I am a person. And Dylan understood that all too well. I put my head on his shoulder, him putting his arm around my waist. It is the perfect day for a moonless night.

Albinism is no laughing matter!

Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

I don't like that a girl beats up a guy, and the ghetto talk seems kind of unrealistic, but it's really poetic in the beginning which is cool, and I like the whole chocolate thing :)