Free as a Bird

Birds are very exquisite creatures. They soar through the sky streaming to get to the destination of their journey. They pierce the clouds as the cotton puff flies at their determined faces. They dance in front of the sunset like there is no tomorrow. Most of all, they fly and fly and fly without even pausing to take a breath because they know that their freedom maybe taken away in a flash. We go through our whole lives getting ready to live but we never actually do. We have to let our wings spread , just take off, and fly.

Summer finally came. School was over and as the bell rang, we jumped out of our seats and celebrated like never before. We knew this was going to be the best summer of our lives. Everybody ran out the door searching through the wild crowd for their friends. We were all exhilarated that we were finally set free out of our cage. That happiness lasted for approximately a day. The next morning everybody was up early on their social network posting about how they are bored out of their lazy minds. Friends were making promises about hanging out during the summer but never actually doing it. People like me were doing their summer projects. Others were still in bed sleeping their way into PM hours. The happiness was gone and the celebration was simply over. All our hopes and dreams were crashed by our lack of interesting activities.

In life, there are three types of people: people who do extreme things, people who dream and are inspired, and people that are lazy. I spent my summer saying good bye, watching the stars, and making 11:11 wishes. I was the dreaming and inspired kind.

Ever since I was three years old, I lived in water. I knew how to swim and went to swimming competitions. The greatest swimming thing I did was joining my current swim team. That is also when and where I met the person that touched my life deeply. He was sweet and gave me the jitters and the butterflies in my stomach. We made fun of each other and as far as swimming goes, he was the best friend I could possibly have. We had so many memories that would take hours to write down on a billion pieces of paper because back then, “we”, actually existed. He would surprise me everyday with his little issues and everyday would turn magically into a movie. I knew he would never disappear from my life. Remembering the dreary summer, I was sent away to sleep-away camp. It was the most horrendous experience of my life and the same person that enriched my life ruined my summer. All the memories and butterflies disappeared and I was left with tears. He sent me a message. It said, “ I am switching to another swim team ”. Six words are all it took to demolish the “we” into shreds.

I was killed with the news. It was like being run over by a speeding car, but worse. I constantly thought that everything will be just fine. I thought that I will still be able to see him but then it hit me. He was completely gone. He would never come back. My best friend won't come back for a life time.

That was also the summer I started making 11:11 wishes. I wished for my friendship back. I wished for better grades. I wished for all those little things that I knew would never come true.

I ended my summer unlike most students at my school. Instead of finishing up my summer projects which I finished a couple of weeks after they were assigned, I lay on a field and simply watched the stars. The wind was gently twirling my hair. The tips of my fingers were barely touching the wet grass. Silence and darkness completely surrounded me. I had nowhere to go but there. All of the sudden, little specks of light appeared. I was simply watching the stars and dreaming. Now, I felt like that bird, the bird that was dancing in front of the sunset like there is no tomorrow and celebrating its freedom. That bird was finally me.

MuSiC809 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 5:58 am
So good(: ! Nd yu kno whats weird, my short story's called brown bird! Lol but you use the concept of bird better in yours(: i really liked it, nothing to critique!:) hope you can read mine n comment

littleme replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 7:54 am
Thank you so much ! ♥ I will surely read yours(: