Mary Jane | Teen Ink

Mary Jane

By BreeTayler PLATINUM, Carlisle, Arkansas
BreeTayler PLATINUM, Carlisle, Arkansas

"Where there is love there is life." --Ghandi

The first time I ever smoked weed was last summer. I don’t know why I did it. It wasn’t peer pressure, they didn’t even ask if I wanted any… Maybe it was for the sake of fitting in, though I don’t think that was the case either. I smoked weed because I wanted to. Because I was curious.

I gripped the paper tightly with my forefinger and thumb. I put the joint to my lips and inhaled. Soon after I could feel the features on my face swim upward while my head stayed exactly where it was. Invisible strings pulled at the corners of my mouth and the sound of the other’s laughter became distant. When I looked around my eyes would feel like they were snapping frames for an animation. They would move in slow motion and bam! Frame.. My reaction time was scary but I soon became used to the feeling. I welcomed it. And the rest of that night was simply legendary.

The usual group came over to my house to hang out. Brittany and Ty. Brittany had a few extra dollars so you can guess what she spent it on. We went over to her boyfriends house and all hung out in his garage. We played some pool, a little darts, and that’s when he brought out the weed.

He hit the pipe first. I admired his technique and how he could get such a big hit so easily. He passed it down to Brittany. She pressed it to her lips and inhaled. My body twitched with excitement when it came my turn. I took two big hits, savoring the tar taste left residing in my mouth. I waited until my lungs screamed in protest to exhale, sending a thick, white puff of smoke from my nose. I wanted everyone to know I inhaled properly. Ty took the pipe from me. He held it and studied it innocently. Ty had never smoked weed before.

“How do you do this?” He whispered in my direction. His eyes were wide, child-like.
Charlie, Brittany’s boyfriend, hopped down from his seat on the pool table and stole the pipe away from him.

“I’ll do it for you, man.” He said and shoved the pipe to Ty’s lips.
My stomach clenched together tightly. Something told me that this was wrong. Something told me that I was responsible for this wrong doing. I wanted to stop him, but I was already high and my actions were delayed. Ty pulled on the pipe and his eyes caught mine. They were looking to me for approval.

And I had to look away.

Ty let off and coughed drastically.

Charlie chuckled, “Don’t get off ‘til you cough, man. It’s every smokers motto.”
I looked back into the eyes of my friend. He seemed proud. I smiled at him.

I relaxed, feeling every muscle soften. I studied the ceiling, happily in my own thoughts of everything that filled me with contentment.

Brian chuckled softly.

And I forgot everything that worried me before.

Though it may seem this way to a frew, this article is not meant to advertise the use of drugs. It's meant to educate and forewarn curious minds. It's not worth it. You wouldn't want to lose a best friend for one night of fun. In this case, the definition of fun is to sit staring at the wall with drool running down ones face and/or to laugh uncontrolably when someone dies.

Harebelle GOLD said...
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
This is so good! Your story is very sad, but your descriptions and the dialogue seems very realistic. Great job!