Writer's Block This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Blank.

No characters, no story plot, nothing.

Where was my creative streak? Where was it hiding? I could feel it inside me, vibrantly bustling in my head. But when I tried to make sense of it, when I placed the tip of my pen against paper, it vanished.

It felt like my mind was playing a cruel jest on me. It sensed my longing, my desperate need, to write, so it stopped my creative thoughts in their tracks. Locked them up into the obscurest corners of my mind where I could not find them. Like a rabid dog confined in a tiny cage, I could feel them raging, attempting to free themselves. It gave me a migraine.

I came to the conclusion that I had come down with something all writers dread: Writer’s Block. No, I thought, this could not do. Immediately, I began the hunt of the cure. I went out for a brisk run, hoping that the pretty scenery would spark some creativity. Five miles later, my legs and lungs insisted that running wasn’t the antidote. So I came home and relaxed my sore muscles in a hot bath. The warm water felt heavenly, and I had to stop myself multiple times from dozing off. Eventually, the water began to cool and my body began to shiver. I forced myself out of the tub and wrapped myself in the pink towel which was bunched up in a ball on the bathroom tile. A hot bath wasn’t the cure, either.

I spent an excruciating three days and four nights locked up in my dark room, depriving myself of sleep and eating nothing but the stale chocolate chip granola bars I found in my desk drawer while I was searching for a pen with ink. I was determined not to leave until I had something written down. I could scarcely finish a sentence, let alone a paragraph. I crumpled up all of the papers sitting on my desk and threw them in the trash, unable to stand the sight of the choppy writing, the undeveloped characters and the incomplete plots. The pile became so high that there was no more room in the trash can, so they littered the wood floor instead. I stormed out of the room in frustration, breaking my useless pen in two on the way out. I still have ink stains tattooed on my fingers.

I gave in to the protests of my neglected stomach and decided to drive the nearby bakery in search of a couple of apple fritters. Along the way, I tapped my fingers against the steering wheel to the songs on the radio, but they were all so similar and meaningless that I could not find any inspiration from them.

I strolled inside the bakery, welcomed by the smell of the freshly baked bread. The young man at the counter was too handsome not to strike up a conversation with, so we leisurely chatted about useless topics such as the unusually scorching weather these past few weeks until a rather impatient line formed behind me. So I left a generous tip and walked out of the building with my apple fritters.

I sat outside at an empty table on the bakery’s patio, setting the bag out in front of me. Seated at the table next to me was a round man with a donut. The jelly oozed out of the back and painted his hands a purplish-pink. His mouth was wide open in a huge smile and his eyes contained so much joy you would think it was the best thing on the entire planet Earth. I couldn’t help but giggle at the peculiar scene. I guessed that the small things in life could be the greatest.

Abruptly, I felt a burst of creativity, a spark of inspiration. I threw my half-eaten fritter back into the bag and hurried off to my car, not forgetting to thank the donut man. The expression he gave me was priceless.

I drove home going exactly twelve miles per hour over the speed limit, but I did not plan on stopping for any cops. I even went through a stop sign or two; nothing was going to stop me. As soon as I got home, I hopped out of the car and seized the nearest pen and piece of scrap paper, which happened to be an ad for the middle school cheerleader’s carwash. The creative flow inside of me assured a brilliant piece.
All I had to do was write it down.
I placed the tip of my pen against the paper.

Blank.

Emiri said...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 6:34 am:
ANNNND....blank. :D This was fun to read.

Strike_Eagle said...
It's a good story; I know I've felt like that many times.

CoffeeKat said...
Wow! I really liked this story--the emotions capture what all writers feel at one time or another so well! It was a story that I could really connect with. Great writing style to boot; the words flowed so well. Great job!

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!   

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really like this! most people when writing about writer's block usually write it in a poetry format, but i like the way this was different! I know the feeling of having an idea and a pen nowhere to be found! good work! :)

Aug. 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm :
Thank you!

WishfulDoerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
UGH, I can TOTALLY relate to this story, as I'm sure every other writer who has read this can. The way you described the feeling of the story "vibrantly bustling in my head" is exactly what it feels like. That stupid itching feeling, and the minute you get a pad of paper it disappears. I really liked this story!

Aug. 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm :
Oh I know I get that feeling all of the time and its so frusturating xD Thanks!

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 11:46 am:
This is so funny! I really enjoyed reading because I can relate.

Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm :
I think all writer's can at some point xD

lucygirl26 said...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 8:13 am:

Awesome. The way you started and ended it was amazing. I didn't ever stop reading, and just kept going. It was really good! I actually have had this happen to me before - in a different way, though. I also love your vocabulary and I think the picture fits well with the story. Really, I have no criticism. I didn't even find any grammar errors or typos. Good job!

If you wouldn't mind, could you read my story, Stopping on the Tracks, and comment and rate it, too? Thanks so much!

Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm :
Sure, I'll check it out asap

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 4:46 am:
Wow! I loved the way you ended it! So perfect! I can definitely relate :) I could feel the frustration from the story very well, and I actuallu just wrote a piece similar to this (it's also about writer's block), because I had it. I love, love, love this :)

Aug. 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm :
Aww thank you(:

tealbird said...
I loved this! Not only did you make this whimsical and entertaining to read, you accurately described the agony of hitting a wall with your writing. Great work!

Aug. 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm :
Thanks for the feedback(:

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This story was great! I know I've faced writer's block enough times, just as any writer has, and this piece perfectly captures it. No inspiration at all, then when it comes, no words follow. This piece was well-written and thought out. It was wonderful.

Aug. 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm :
Thank you!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
This story was amazing. I love how relatable you made it to the reader. You made it incredibly fascinating to read about writer's block. I adore the little hints of humor in this , and your nearly perfect writing. Overall , it's a well written piece. Great job!

Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm :
Thank you!