Stand Alone 2

Even after all these years, I could still feel it sometimes, the hard sting of her hand brushing my face, and even more painful, the feelings of pure shame and guilt I felt when I saw slow tears running down her face. I didn't blame her for slapping me, I was being really mouthy. But since they have two other little children together I felt weird being his step-son. Back then, I didn't think it was fair for my mom wanting me to call him "Dad" when he's not to me. It would have been easier if I was littler when my mom met him. But I was 14 when they got married so it was really uncomfortable. I guess I still hadn't gotten used to the idea yet.

When I was brought back to reality I heard my mom's shrill voice screaming in my face. "Nicholas James if you ever, EVER, speak with that kind of disrespect EVER again in this house, or to your friends, or anywhere else you will be out of this house in a second! Do you understand me?" I had half a mind to just walk out then, to go sleep at a friends house or something. But I quickly decided against it as it would get me into more trouble later. Still mad I mumbled, " I'm almost 17, you won't be able to tell me what to do for ever." And with that, I raced up to my bedroom, hoping to avoid another slap if she heard me, and slammed the door of my bedroom behind me.

My bedroom is upstairs. If you can call it an upstairs. There was only five steps leading to the living room from the front room. The living room was off to the right of the stairs. Then the kitchen was a couple of feet away from the stairs when you came up. then you go to the left down a hallway and you have the three rooms in front of you. Mom's and Dad's are in the middle, Travis's and Charlotte's off to the right, and mine to the left of both. I liked my room. Like every other teenager, it was sort of like my sanctuary. I had a few posters and stuff, but that was pretty much it. When I got to my room I looked into my mirror. I had a red mark on my cheek where my mom slapped me. I started rubbing it subconsciously. I was smarting a little by my right eye, but I was okay. I looked at the clock by my TV. 'Almost 7:30 ' I thought. It was still to early to go to bed, so I flopped on a bean bag chair and started reading a magazine. It was kinda' boring but it past the time. At about 8:10 I heard the door slam.

It was George coming home from work. I heard Mom whispering in a low voice to him. Then I heard a slow knock at my door. I rolled my eyes and said plainly, "Come in." He opened the door slightly, glanced in, and opened the door all the way. "Hey, buddy, can I talk to you for a second." "Sure." I said, putting the magazine down and getting up from the bean bag chair. "What?" He sorta' sighed before he spoke. "I heard you yelled at your mother today." I just nodded and stared at him. "Yeah, why do you care?" He raised his eyebrows at me, "Why would I not care?" He answered innocently enough. I rolled my eyes "Whatever, continue your lecture, would ya." I knew I was being really mean, rude, and harsh, but he had to know I wasn't going to call him " Dad" anytime soon. I guess he didn't like how I was acting so he warned, "Hey, don't catch an attitude with me, mister."

I actually laughed out loud. " You actually think you, of all people, you can tell me what to do. You act as if you raised me. Well, you didn't. You act as if you have any authority over me whatsoever. Ha!" George stood, visibly mad now, " Hey! You don't get to talk to me like that! Whatever I am to you, your mother's husband, your father, or the man that stole your family away, you don't get to talk to anyone that way!" I glared at him, even though I felt 1/10 of a bit guilty, and said in a deep, mocking voice, crossing my arms and cocking my head, "Yeah, that's what you are to me, the horrible jerk that ripped my family apart." George nodded his head with a bitter smile on his face, " Because I'm the reason your dad left aren't I, in your mind? I rescued your mother from him, he was horrible to-" but I cut him off. " I swear if you say one more thing about my Father I will punch you out. Now get out of my room." When he didn't move I got really close to him and almost pushed him out the door. "Now!" I screamed.

UNserieswriter said...
see now things took a weird turn. you said the father was
A) just dad
B) a loser.
but now he's 
A)Stepdad
B) coming home from work?
be a bit more clear. and some things were over played. i get he's being disrespectful, but hardly enough to get kicked out the house. and if any kid actually got in a grown man's face threatening him and kicking him out i'm sure it wouldnt end well for that kid. Good stuff though. :)

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast replied...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm :

im a little confused with youre a b a b thing so i would appereiciate if u would chat me in opinions and explain it to me. and also< i know its a little over the top, but im a very hot headed person who has a lot of anger and if i had it pent up like that for years with this bitterness welling inside my heart, thats how i imagined i would act like. :) but thankyou verymuch for ue opinions. and i really like the base of youre novel. sorry< its gonna take a long time to read! thanks agin!... (more »)