Reunion

(CHARLIE, 17, sits on a sofa reading a book. EVAN, 23, enters.)

EVAN
Good Book?

CHARLIE
Well, I can’t seem to get past the first—Evan!

EVAN
Happy to see me?

CHARLIE
I missed you!
(EVAN notices that CHARLIE holds her hand clasped around a tiny object. She continues to hold her hand this way throughout the scene.)
EVAN
What’s that in your hand?

CHARLIE
Oh Nothing. Where’ve you been?

EVAN
Busy. Travelling the world, seeing the sights. You know. The usual.

CHARLIE
And you couldn’t even bother to call your own sister?

EVAN
Well I…I’m sorry ok? How is everyone? Mom, Dad, Beth, Mia?

CHARLIE
They’re good I guess. Beth’s her usual infuriatingly perfect self. She just graduated from college and is off to law school. She can’t stop talking about her perfect boyfriend Aaron. It’s always “Aaron this, Aaron that.” And Mia, well, she’s not around much. She’s really grown up though. You wouldn’t even recognize her. I’m glad you’re back.

EVAN
Me too. Charlie, can you show me what’s in your hand?
CHARLIE
No.
EVAN
Fine. I will be forced to take it from you.
(Laughing he starts to tickle her. They collapse onto the floor in laughter, but CHARLIE never reveals what is in her hand.)
CHARLIE
(Laughing)
No. Stop.

(Pause)

EVAN
How are you doing?

CHARLIE
Fine I guess. I don’t know. Whenever someone asks how I’m doing Mom says “She’s doing great.” Maybe I am doing great. What does “doing great” feel like? But everyone tiptoes around me. I guess I wish things would go back to the way they were. Maybe they will now. Now that you’re home.

EVAN
Yeah. Maybe it will.

CHARLIE
No. Don’t patronize me! You’re just like the rest of them! You think I can’t hear it in your voice? You don’t think anything will get better, but you’re afraid to tell me. You think that the minute you tell me I’m wrong it will send me straight back to--

EVAN
No. Charlie. I didn’t mean it like that. I just…Ok fine. Maybe I did. I’m just….I’m worried about you ok? I’m sorry. I really am. I should get going.

CHARLIE
No wait. Don’t go. Mom and Dad will be home soon. It’s pizza night! Please, stay for dinner.

EVAN
Oh Charlie, you know I can’t.

CHARLIE
Come on. It’s been months. You can’t still be mad at them. It’s not your fault that this happened to me. They know that. I’m sure they’ve forgiven you. If you’d just—

EVAN
It’s not that.

CHARLIE
Please? For me?

EVAN
I can’t.

CHARLIE
Why not?

EVAN
You know why.

CHARLIE
You’re not real.

EVAN
Look at the pill in your hand. You haven’t taken your meds today.

CHARLIE
Please. I can’t lose you again! I can’t…

EVAN
You need to take them.

CHARLIE
Please! Don’t leave me! Don’t…

EVAN
I love you.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Mind.Blown.

Please , write more!!!!

Danealle said...
This flows really well! Now I want to what happened between the two of them! great job

CarrieAnn13 said...
Great play!  The dialogue is fairly realistic and I can clearly picture what is going on.  Excellent job!

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I agree that this is a really awesome play! My only suggestion is to maybe add some more stage directions to express how the dialogue is supposed to be spoken, but other than that, I really like it!