It's not love | Teen Ink

It's not love

By superkoala BRONZE, Little Valley, New York
superkoala BRONZE, Little Valley, New York

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
~Oscar Wilde

I stood there across from the police station, wondering. The rain was pouring hard and my clothes were getting soaked. No one knew that I was here…at least I hoped that. I had skipped school for this very moment.

Nevertheless, just being near the police station made me nervous. I had my reasons, I thought as I stared at the place. The station seemed welcoming enough. The bricks were a rusty color and the sign above it read Churchill police, since 1914. The police station was a small building that was in between two other ones. Still the place made my palms clammy, despite the rain.

If she saw me, I don’t know if she could ever forgive me. Would she make good on her threat to hate me if I told? Would she really do that even though I’m the only one who has stuck by her side, when everyone else left? Would she or were those words actually being said by her boyfriend?

He made her into this being. She used to be so carefree and rebellious. Everywhere she went, she brought sunshine with her. When she laughed, you couldn’t help but laugh with her. People used to talk to her just for that reason, so they to could be happy.

Now his being clouded her sunshine sky. No longer is she that care free spirit that she once was. What had become of her was a shell of her former self. The new her was a timid, shy creature that jumped when he commanded it.

I had confronted her when she first acted strange but she said it was all the stress from school. Like an idiot, I bought into it. I believed her. Her strange behavior then continued and she gave me the same excuses when I asked again.

Then when she started to push people away, I couldn’t do anything else but get the truth from her. I no longer could put up with “it’s all the school work”. One day I confronted her and she told me that she and her boyfriend were having a series of small fights and she just wanted space. That is was I brought into for a second time.

A few weeks later, her behavior took an extreme turn when one day I found her in the bathroom crying, blood dripping down her nose and a welt developing on her face. “Oh my gawd! What on earth happened?” I asked.

She shoved me and said, “Nothing I tripped and fell. Can’t you just leave me alone?”, then she ran out of the bathroom. It happened a few other times and she kept giving me the same excuses.

So I left her alone for a while. All was well then; she started to act like her old self. I had hoped that she had finally gone through her “bad stage”. I would soon regret those thoughts.

It was on a cold spring night as I recall. The air was fridge after winter had just ended. I was walking out of a movie, going to meet my mom at the local restaurant. I was sad because the moon was supposed to be out and there was overcast. That is when I heard the cry of a muffled scream coming from the ally.

At first, I thought it was nothing but then it came again. I turned and ran to see what it was. A dark figure came out of the ally. No, ran is the more appropriate word for what it did. When I got there, I couldn’t believe what I saw in front of me.

My dearest friend, the one I had every since the first grade. The strong, independent girl that she was was lying on the cold damp ally floor. Garbage was knocked down all around her. Blood covered her entire face. From what it looked like her bone had been broken. She didn’t move at first and that scared me, then she twitched her leg.

“What…what happened?” I asked, crying. I didn’t want to believe what my mind was telling me. No it couldn’t be true, she was smarter then this. She knew that this wasn’t.

She got up in painful movements. She looked directly in my eyes. I could see the pain in them. All the questions swarming in her mind. She didn’t speak, just stared at me. I began to cry, “Look at what he’s doing to you! This isn’t love, it isn’t. No good boyfriend would hit you then leave you. No, this isn’t right!”

Right then I saw the conflict in her eyes. I saw her struggling and then I had a sliver a hope. Would she leave him? Did she finally realize that what was happening wasn’t right? When I looked in to her eyes, I saw the glow she used to have.

She shook her head and said, “If you ever tell any one about this, I will never forgive you. He loves me. What happened just now, it had my fault. I deserved this, ok?” Then she limped away. I stood there dumbfounded, in a daze.

No, my mind thought, NO, NO, NO! I still remember the cold sweat that ran down my back.

After that, I couldn’t look at her the same. Nor could I look at him the same way.
She reminded me everyday of her threat after that too.

As I stood there across the station, I knew that what I was doing was right. Even though my mind was trying to convince me otherwise.

So taking a deep breath, I walked across the station and into the building. I don’t know what will happen next but I hope that it’s for the better. I can see her enraged face and his too, but it will help her in the end because its not love if he hits you.

i wrote this after seeing a movie about an abused girl. You always seem to read or see things in the eyes about the abused, but what about the people who are also being indirectly hurt by the relationship? i thought it would be different if i wrote something on their point of view.

PerfectlyImperfect, Clifton Park, New York
Np! Check out some of my work. I have 3 wrightings and one picture I drew. It would be awesome if you could check them out!

~Oscar Wilde

thankyou, this was my first time writing a realistic fiction piece. so its nice to know that i did a good job :)

on Jul. 14 2011 at 10:56 am
Once I started to read this I couldn't stop! Nice job. I love the end when you said "it's not love if he hits you"