The Great Pudding War

Okay, so maybe it wasn’t a full scale war, but to us six-year-olds it was. And all’s fair in love and war.

I confess that I'm to blame for starting the whole fiasco. I shouldn't have fought back. Six-year-old me clad in a pink skirt and poufy white blouse, golden hair tied in perfect pigtails. The little lady who started the big war.

I padded into the first grade lunchroom and placed my Barbie lunchbox next to my two best friends.

“Missy Loch!” a nails-on-a-chalkboard voice called from behind me.

My cute, innocent, little face flashed annoyance as I turned around and said, “Alex Nelson!”
I hated everything about him, his freckles, his curly red hair, and the smirk that often lingered on his pale face.

“So,” Alex said, his infamous smirk making an appearance, “I heard you got an A on the spelling quiz. Teacher’s pet.” He stuck his tongue out.

“And I heard you got a D,” I replied coolly, sticking my own tongue out.

His smirk disappeared for a few seconds before reappearing, bigger than before. “Maybe I did, and maybe I didn’t.”

“What do you want, Alex?” I sighed, opening my lunchbox and extracting the chocolate pudding cup from inside, placing it next to my lunchbox.

Alex’s eyes lit up, and he snatched the pudding cup from off the plastic table. “Just this,” he said, turning to run.

I shot up from the bench and grabbed onto his collar. “Gimme it back!” I struggled to keep him from walking farther.

“Give it to her!” my friends chorused.

“No! It’s mine now, Missy.” He grunted as he leaned backwards, pushing me to the ground.

I landed on the linoleum with an “Oof!” and my friends surrounded me.

“He’s a real meanie,” Cindy squealed, helping me off the ground.

“What a stinky head,” Ronnie said, rolling her eyes.

I dusted off my blouse, anger and hurt clouding my angelic face. “I want my pudding back," I whined.

“We’ll help you get it,” Cindy and Ronnie offered.
“Get him!”

We sprang after Alex. Cindy grabbed his collar, Ronnie bent to the floor and grabbed his pant leg, and I stared him down.

“Gimme my pudding cup,” I said through clenched teeth.

“No, I want it.” His smirk grew larger than I had ever seen it.

“Gimme!” I pounced, landing on top of him. He kicked his legs, trying to get off and managing to bruise my cheek, but I fought back, scratching his arm. His eyes were wide with fear, though the smirk still lingered on his face.

“Children! Timeout!” Ms. Ruthie pulled us apart and walked us to our classroom. She took the pudding cup from Alex and placed it on top of her desk. “Missy, you’ll get your pudding cup back at the end of the day. Alex, you shouldn’t have taken it from Missy. And both of you will get two extra math problems for homework tonight. Understand?”

“Yes, Ms. Ruthie,” we chorused.

“Good. Now sit down. Class is about to start.”

We walked to our respective seats on opposite ends of the room, heads hung in defeat. Nobody had won, and we knew it. The appeal of the pudding cup hung over our heads the rest of the day.

I massaged my cheek and looked over at Alex. He looked positively beaten, and for once he wasn’t smirking.

When the final bell rang, Ms. Ruthie called me over to get my pudding cup. I took the red plastic container, not feeling as satisfied as I should’ve, and walked toward the big parking lot.

On the way out, I saw Alex stumbling around with his giant Spiderman backpack. He looked almost...pathetic.

After a second of thought I tapped on his shoulder and said, “Here,” handing him the pudding cup.

He looked astonished. “Thanks, Missy,” He said, and a genuine smile crossed his face. Not a smirk. A smile.

Looking back, I can hardly believe what a big deal a pudding cup was to us. As I got older, nothing really changed. In third grade, wars were fought over hairclips, fifth grade it was bracelets, seventh grade, lipgloss, and in high school it was boyfriends. As I became an adult, I realized that nothing ever really changes.It just grows along with you. I began fighting for my kids, my job, my home, and luxuries. Meanwhile, countries were fighting for power. And in my head, I saw everyone as little kids and the prizes as they essentially were. A pudding cup.

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:28 pm:
OMG Sarah!!!!!!!! This is so good!!!!!!!! I love it, and I love how such a silly story has a big message!! U go girl XD

705toofdaPThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 2 at 12:12 am:
I. Loved. This. The way you suddenly switched perspective on us, like a microscope zooming out or something (sorry, cliche analogy) was fantastic. Way to go Thorny!! :)

Mr.DedicatedDeterminationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I loved the story you tell and especially the ending. It was amazing, I can really relate and it is relevant to everybody. It's true, from a pudding cup to materialistic things to boyfriends/girlfriends it's all pretty meaningess. Great job.

Aeliss-NovakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I've always thought that way! You rarely want something after you fight over it like that. I love this, it's amazing.

raeeeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:56 am:

Okay, first, I seriously and thoroughly enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, and you did a fantastic recount on how children act at that age, but, it could have been a bit better. Obviously, the boy should've been able to do a little more damage than the girl, but I guess it also goes that he could be reminded that he isn't supposed to hit them? I'm not too sure if that's the emphasis you were putting on the fact. Her hair didn't get tousled and all in all, it's really the fact I couldn't imagine ... (more »)

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm :

Thanks so much, Rae! You totally got my story. :D

And let us not forget the our little friend Alex was greatly outnumbered. ;) But you're right. A little more detail about the damage might be helpful.

raeeeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm :
Oh my Gir, I totally forgot he was outnumbered, but you didn't really emphasize the others attacking, just Missy.

futurenovelist1577This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm:
hey thorn! i promised you i would read and here i am reading!!! i love this stroy and i absolutely love pudding! keep up the good work!

SilverLunaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thorn. I love this story, and I've read it before. Now. This story, though fantastic, isn't as fantastic as talking to you would be. So, help your old pal Luna out and talk to Nick or I. Preferably me...because I'm more fun than Nick (psst, don't tell him I said that!). Seriously though!

CinnannonbreadMonsterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
WOW!!!!! dude, this is amazinly, written!!! Wow!, yeah I love love the deeper meaning to it. *Gold star*

CarrieAnn13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I love the deeper meaning at the end!  There's only one minor typo where there's no space after a period.  But other than that, I don't have any criticism.  Great work, Thorn!

Hopeful_One said...
I loved it, loved it, loved it!!! That's a perfect way to illustrate war as it is! xD The last paragraph's my fave :)

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i loved this, first with the whimsical beginning, and then that last paragraph totally tied it all up together. keep up the nice work!

flawless200This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I love it.

My early childhood wasn't quite the same but if i had the chance  i would live yours in a heart beat

TheShadowWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:20 am:

I'm suprised i'm the first person responing to this.

Whoa, deep metaphor at the end. XD. I liked most of all how you gave this story about kids and pudding (which was seemingly pointless) and compared that to life as the protagonist got older.

I really enjoyed this short story Thorn, I wish my first grade life was as exciting. Great Job

-Will