A Rant for Love

I’m telling you, life is unfair.

It’s a known fact. You can try your best, assert the most exemplary attitude, but sometimes, it does nothing to earn the acceptance you desire.

It’s just an award, you tell yourself incessantly, to the point of annoyance. But why not? Why not just let yourself feel upset, this once?

The world is an unfair place, even if something, anything, is supposed to be out there for you; it’s supposed to be some glorious light at the end of a long, winding road, a crown of achievement to assure yourself that you haven’t been wasting your time working so hard.

And then you reach it with haste and happiness, and there’s the bleak desert, staring you mockingly in the face. You cower timidly behind your disappointment, a shaking hand over your mouth while you try to hide your surprise.
Because your hard work, that risk you took with time, it all ended in nothing, and you know you can’t go back to the past.

Instead, the feelings try to drown you in a hollow shell you can’t escape. You walked the walk and got nothing for it.

Where’s the sense in that?

The opposing team never even tried, which is what irks you, crawls on your insides uncomfortably, tickles your anger irritably because you know you were only a step behind. But your chance is gone like the wind, and it’s suddenly as if it was never there at all.

You tell yourself over and over—you can try again next year. There’s two more years to prove yourself worthy.

But you’re not in the spirit.

Your best friend, in her own class, gets the same award you longed for. But she doesn’t write like you do, not in the sense that she isn’t good, but in the sense that she doesn’t care, though she says she does.

But why care about writing when you only do it when you’re forced to? To love is to show it, so why get an award for doing the required amount of work? Why not get one in my case, for doing what I have to, and then going and doing what I don’t have to do, but what I want to do?

Isn’t it the attitude that should give us the award? Isn’t it the true love that should give us the opportunity to be praised? I know I have the skill, and there’s never been a day when I haven’t done as said. The others? The awardees? They fake their way through it and expect everything to fall into their arms.

It’s false love, but it seems to work for them.

Perhaps I should take after them, the so-called Excellent Student. They get it all, in the end. Stop writing and only do what the teacher says? Nothing else? If I want to be recognized, is less more? Really?

I’m telling you I’m right, life is unfair.

LiederMadchen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I feel just like that sometimes, great article!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
Aug. 4, 2011 at 11:18 am
I really connected with this , and it reminded me of myself. I think alot of people feel this way , and you captured the emotion of it very well :)

whitstar27 said...
I agree with a lot of the things you said. I liked it.

musicispassion said...
I really like this it's inspiring good job

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks so much :)

LoveMeIfYouDare said...
I like the attitude behind this...it's not like a snappy attitude...I mean I liked the tone.The mood.

Thanks you. :)

Thank* (whoops)

Alon_Freevoice said...
Again, you have another great article. It is ageeable when you say that life is unfair.

By the way, I thought this should be in the opinions section instead of fiction. But, again, this is a great article. I'll rate this. :D

Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:05 am
I was thinking that too actually, but I'd already posted it in the fiction section so.. Oh well. Thanks for the comment though! I'm glad you like it. :)

CarrieAnn13 said...
I agree, Garnet77, life is unfair.  But the ironic thing is, I'm one of these so-called Excellent Students (but not in the context of writing, I enjoy it and get good marks).  I like your article and the points you make and I'm sorry that the fakes are getting all the awards.  But that's life, I guess.

Yeah, I understand. And there's nothing we can really do. Anyway, I think there's always an award for someone--it just depends on everything, like the teacher, the students, etc. But thanks for commenting! :)

white_chocolate97 said...
This was so great. I really liked all the detail:)

Thanks. :)

ritabelle511 said...
This is awesome! I totally felt like I was right there, and I even found myself getting a little angry as I was reading! Great work :)

Jun. 17, 2011 at 1:28 am
Okay good, that's the reaction I wanted. Yay :) Thanks. 

can_you_keep_a_secret said...

GREAT(:

5 stars. Check out my story Radiance?

Thank you! Of course I'll check out your story. :)