Winter's Eyes, Chapter 4- Friends

Hinata entered her classroom in the morning, settling in the same seat she had before. For once she didn't hear the other kids, or even the comments they tossed to each other about her. Her mind was too busy thinking about the newest addition to her daily routine; Naruto. Would he be in the same spot at lunch as he was yesterday? Would he let her sit with him again? She had wondered why he wasn't with his friends, and now she figured that today he would go sit with them. Hinata let out a small, inaudible sigh. It was fine while it lasted, but every good thing had to come to an end. She had actually been surprised when he had remembered her yesterday.

Hinata shook her head. He would have forgotten about her now. Everything would just go back to the way it was before, where she was alone in a world she couldn't see.

The young blind girl walked past the cafeteria again; on her way to the back door she had discovered a while ago when she was trying to avoid everyone else. She struggled a bit but finally managed to shove the door open and step outside. The light breeze was back, and she almost smiled.

"Hinata!" Said girl jumped a mile high and whipped around towards the voice.

"Hey Hinata, wanna sit with us?" Naruto's voice called to her. Hinata was about to respond when she halted. Us? Naruto could see Hinata inching back towards the door and stood.

"It's alright, Hinata," he said nicely, placing a hand on her shoulder to have her jump under his hand, "It's just me and my new friend. He's fine, don't worry. He's kind of like you, actually, since neither of you talk much." Hinata allowed him to pull her back towards the spot they sat yesterday and eased herself down. Naruto plopped unceremoniously down next to her.

"Hinata, this is Sasuke," he introduced, taking her hand and bringing it to someone else's, "Sasuke, Hinata." The two shook hands before Hinata retracted hers to once again press her finger tips together.

"I met Sasuke yesterday after school," Naruto explained, "He just moved here from… Somewhere…" Sasuke rolled his eyes at him.

"I can speak for myself, idiot," he muttered in a low voice.

Hinata flinched a bit and started to inch away. Naruto hurriedly grabbed her wrist.

"No, it's alright, Hinata," he told her, "Sasuke's not all horrible. He's just brutally honest and kind of mean, that's all. He wouldn't hurt a fly. Right, Sasuke?" Sasuke scoffed but stayed silent. Naruto looked around and noticed none of them had lunches.

"Why don't you guys have food? Aren't you hungry?" he asked. Sasuke raised an eyebrow.

"We could ask you the same thing." Naruto suddenly turned away, shrugging.

"Just not hungry, that's all," he said, sporting a fake grin. Even Hinata, who couldn't see his face, knew that he was lying through his teeth, though neither she nor Sasuke knew why. None of them bothered asking, though; there seemed to be a silent agreement passed between the three that no one would ask about each other's lives until they offered. Sasuke crossed his arms and leaned his back against the school wall, looking down into his lap as if thinking about something. Hinata continued to silently push her finger tips together while Naruto picked at the grass in front of him.

It was silent for a long while, and while Naruto was alright with the quiet at times, he found himself getting restless. Just when he opened his mouth to try and start up a conversation, the bell rang inside. Naruto let out the breath in a sigh and they all filed in, tossing good byes at each other as they went their separate ways. Hinata could feel something building in her heart that she didn't recognize. Did she have friends? Her heart built and a smile spread on her face, and for once she couldn't help but let a glimmer of hope push through to the surface.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Hinata sat with the two boys again outside. Once again they sat in silence until finally Naruto sighed.

"It's too quiet," he huffed. Sasuke rolled his eyes at him while Hinata blushed and pushed her fingers together.

"Fine then, why don't you tell us about those?" Hinata couldn't tell what he was talking about, but it suddenly went dead silent.

"T-There nothing," Naruto said after a while, "Just… been there since I was little, that's all."

Hinata let out a small sigh.

"I wish I could see what you were talking about," she whispered quietly. Unfortunately, this didn't go unheard by Naruto. He shook his head.

"No you don't, trust me." It was Hinata's turn to shake her head.

"I just don't like… being left out…" she admitted quietly, ducking her head. Naruto observed her a while, debating. Finally he let out a defeated sigh and took hold of her hands. Hinata squeaked a bit when he grabbed her hands and started raising them. The tips of her fingers brushed against smooth skin, and she automatically tried to pull back. Naruto kept a firm hold on her hands, his eyes not leaving her flushed face for a second.

"Trust me, Hinata," he told her quietly. Hinata, surprised by his soft tone, complied and let him place her hands on the sides of his face. She frowned in confusion before her fingers met a thin bump along his cheek. Hinata gasped a bit as her fingers lightly sketched the length of the scar, which almost ran all the way to his ear. Naruto brought her hands down a bit to another line, and she again traced it. In all there were three long scars running across both of his cheeks. Naruto allowed her to take her hands back and turned away, sure that she would think he was a freak now. Even if Hinata was one of the nicest people he had ever met, anyone who saw or just felt the scars on his face automatically moved away.

Hinata sat silent for a moment, carefully rubbing her fingers together.

"W-What happened?" she asked breathily. Naruto rubbed the back of his head and shrugged, though she couldn't see it.

"Nothing. I told you, I've had them since I was little. I don't know where I got them." Both Sasuke and Hinata knew he was lying, but said no more on the subject. After a while the bell rang again, and the two walked back inside.

"Later, loser," Sasuke tossed to Naruto as he walked off. Naruto waved back at him.

"N-Naruto…" Uh oh. Naruto swallowed and turned to Hinata. He shuffled his feet nervously.

"Uh, hey Hinata, what's up?" he asked in as much of a cheerful voice as he could manage. Hinata looked down at the floor for a moment before looking up and giving him a small, shy smile.

"I-I'll talk to you tomorrow, r-right?" Naruto blinked at her in disbelief before shaking his head and grinning.

"Sure thing, Hinata," he exclaimed, "We're friends after all, aren't we?" Hinata's smile grew wider, and Naruto found himself momentarily stunned.

"Y-Yes, N-Naruto. Goodbye…" Hinata walked away, tapping her walking stick in front of her, leaving Naruto to be mesmerized. He had almost been positive that she was going to ask him about his face. After all, most people would have. Naruto turned and started walking, digging his hands into his pockets thoughtfully. After a moment he smiled. Well, Hinata was definitely not most people, and right then he was truly glad he had decided to be late that first day he met her. Maybe, just maybe, he would actually have friends.