The Flag

I hated that flag. I hated the colors and stripes and stars. I hated everything it stood for. Red like the blood Ryan never would have lost if not to fight for it and the passion we had for each other. White like the innocence of a child being sent to war or the color of my wedding dress. Blue like ocean that separated us for months and the color of his skin when he finally came home cold and dead. The horizontal stripes lay like Ryan's body lays in the coffin. hat is to be lowered, horizontally into the ground. Then of course there were the stars. The stars that reminded me of our last talk together, before he went overseas again. We laid under the starry night sky and talked for hours about nothing and everything. We laid there knowing we would not see each other for a while, thinking about our future as a couple. We laid there trying to enjoy the peaceful moment we had before the hectic business of the next day. I hated those stars the most.
Once the flag was handed over and the guns fired, people said their last goodbyes and slowly started to leave for a quick reception at his home. Mrs. Beaupre and I were the last ones to leave. We just knelt at his freshly buried grave and said nothing. Did nothing. Felt nothing. I took the flag back home.
Its funny how a piece of cloth is supposed to stand for liberty and freedom, but what is the price that we pay for it? Is it really worth a good man's life? A life that could have been filled with happiness but was severed by the sharp knife of death. I once thought so, Ryan thought so I would guess, but I'm not so sure anymore.

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really agree with the message of this piece, and you portrayed it realistically and with a lot of emotion.  At first, I thought I'd read a non-fiction piece, it was so heartfelt! 

Shayna121 said...
"Hat" was supposed to be that...I made a mistake...

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Everyone else mentioned what I caught, so I guess I'll stick to the positive stuff! This is really, really good! :)

Alon_Freevoice replied...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 1:45 am
hat is to be lowered... hat should start with capital H...

And, hey, this is great... :)

Alon_Freevoice replied...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 1:50 am
Hey! I wasn't about to post this as a reply but a comment, instead. So sorry... PEACE!

CarrieAnn13 said...

"...like Ryan's body lays in the coffin. hat is to be lowered..."  That's one of the only mistakes I could find.  The other was "Its funny how..."  There should be an apostrophe in 'its'.

Other than that, this is a great start to your novel.  Good job!

Shayne121 replied...
Thanks for letting me know I didn't even realize it...I'm too heavily reliant on spell check and it doesn't work all the time.

WishfulDoer replied...
I really love this piece. It actually portrays some of my own beliefs. The only mistakes I could find were those that CarrieAnn13 gave, although one line did confuse me a bit. Where she says, "I once thought so, Ryan thought so I would guess, but I'm not so sure anymore." There's just some confusion in there between the first thought so and the second. But otherwise, an amazing piece!