Vesper's Goodbye

(Her P.O.V.) In the hospital

I tried to hold back my tears as the doctor told me that the love of my life has less than twenty-four hours to live. Leukemia: cancer, a number one killer. It was too late to do anything.

<<One Week Ago<<

I wake up to the sight of my husband sleeping soundly. I gently placed my hand on his cheek, lightly caressing his smooth skin. He brushed his lips against my hand and kissed it, sweetly.
“Good morning, Beautiful.” He smiled.
I pecked his perfectly sculpted, plump lips, “I’m going to go take a shower.” I announced walking into the bathroom.

(His P.O.V.)

I watched as my wife walked away. “I’m so lucky to be married to a gorgeous, intelligent, funny, (I could go on forever…) woman, she is so amazing.
I felt a slight tingle in the back of my throat. I tried to make as less noise as possible. The clearing of my throat, caused me to cough. I covered my mouth, only to find a small pool of blood laying there on the palm of my hand.
I thought nothing of it and went to the other bathroom to wash it off. I quickly lay back down on my bed, with my arms behind my head, staring at the ceiling.
She walked out of the bathroom, followed by a lot of steam with a towel around her. I felt another sensation in my throat; I covered yet another group of coughs. I pulled my hand away, hoping and praying to God there wasn’t anymore blood.
“Are you alright?” she turns around.
“Yeah, I just have a bad cough.” I explain.
“What is that on your hand? Blood?” she asks looking at my palm, worriedly.
“Oh, I probably just bit my lip or something…” I pass off trying to change the subject.
Her eyes wander down my body, where the bed sheets aren’t covering, “Where did you get those marks?” she notices an array of bruises around my abdomen and hip.
“You know I’m a rough sleeper, maybe I banged it against the wall or head board…” I stood up and walked over to her from behind, draping my arms around her waist.
I placed my lips to her neck and gently brushing across her neckline, leaving a trail of butterfly kisses as a path.
“Don’t worry, I’m fine.” I tried to convince her, but she just nodded and smiled hesitantly.

>>Present Day>>

“Honey, you hardly touched you food. Are you feeling okay?” she asked me, sitting across from me in a both.
“Yeah, I’m just a bit tired…” She nodded.
I got up and walked over to pay the bill; I took out my credit card and handed it to the cashier.
We started walking out of the local diner to the car. I started experiencing that same feeling in the back of my throat. I brought my hand to my lips to cover another attack of coughs, more blood. The amount of blood was more than triple the amount I’ve been getting. I started felling dizzy as I saw the outside get brighter.
I stopped walking, my wife noticed, “Are…you…okay?” she asked, examining my now pale face, I couldn’t respond.
I felt pain rush through my body as I lost my footing.

(Her P.O.V.) In the hospital

“Time of death, twelve-pm.” The doctor said writing on his clipboard.
I couldn’t let them take my husband away from me. I was still latched on to his body, screaming and crying as they tried to pull me away.

The End.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
great story you did  a really good job with this keep it up   could you please check out and comment on my story Manso's Shame  i would really appreciate the feedback  just type in Manso's  for some reason if you type in the full title it doesnt show up