A Life's Tragedy | Teen Ink

A Life's Tragedy

By Peedah BRONZE, Santa Ana, California
Peedah BRONZE, Santa Ana, California

It was a quiet night, the moon struck its bright eyes upon my face, and the sound of the baby’s cry was over whelming. The bruises scattered throughout my body were throbbing with pain as the warm fluid made its way to the warm cloth I used to wipe up the blood. I had been thinking about leaving this place said to be “home”. “What do you think your doing out here get you a** back in the damn house.” He said. The baby needed me so I went in without daring to look him in the eyes. I got the baby and rushed into the nursery room where I thought I would be safe for the rest of the night. I called up mom and told her Alex and me had another fight and if she could come get Jordan and me in the mist of night. “ Mom I just don’t know if I could keep all this up anymore, I mean look at what he’s done to me I’ve lost all my respect for myself.” “ Child hush your mouth you know that if you live this man you’ll end up on the street like those good for nothing homeless, just sitting down asking for money while were over struggling to keep our own family’s alive” mom has never wanted the best for me. Ever since me and my sister Regina were little kids, mom would always giver Stephanie the high treatment while I was stuck doing all the dirty work. I was lucky I even got out of her house while I was still sane. “ But mom I cant have Jordan growing up in a place like this and I know for a fact that you are not taking him away from me.” “Even I did take him away from you, your life would still be a mess. I’ve tried helping you but you never seem to want my help.” “ Do you seriously think I want your help? Your definition of help is putting down others making their life complicating that what it already is!” I knew that I had just screwed myself over. “ If you think that’s so true then get the hell out of my car, go find your own damn way to wherever the hell your going!” and like that mom was gone as if she was the grim reaper searching upon its next victim. It turns out that things weren’t all that bad. Across the street was a torn up old motel lot. “ Well Jordan looks like we just found ourselves a place to stay for the night” poor Jordan sleeping so peaceful in my arms, if only he knew what lay ahead for him. I could only want the best I could offer to him but tonight this beat down motel was all I could offer to such a child of no harm. As I walk into the door the bell that was poorly tied above the door rang. I had expected someone to pop up but there was no one. As I stroll up to the front counter I remember that I still must look like a mess. I turn to the right and I see a mirror and a reflection of a women to whom I do not recognize. I turn around and there she is. “ Dear what has happened to you, you poor thing here come sit.” I take it that the blood stains and bruises suggested that I have had a rough night. As she entered the room again she brought a few towels and what seemed to be a bottle ant-bacterial. Behind her dragged a high chair. “ Here give me the baby” as I gave her Jordan I stared into her eyes and for a second it was as if I saw a glow shine upon this lady. “ Clean yourself off with these towels and use the anti-bacterial while I get this handsome young man some food” I grabbed one of the towels and pressed it upon the bottle of bacterial and began to clean up the wounds that Alex had marked upon my body. The pain was intense it was as if a thousand needles were puncturing me all at once. “ I'm sorry my dear what is you name I’m Sarah Lowell” her smile seemed to have brighten the whole room especially Jordan’s with the bowl of warm chicken and rice in his little baby hands. “ Pardon me, I’m Christine Williams.” “Well Mrs. Williams it looks to me someone caught a real good piece of you.” Tears began to role down my cheeks as the earlier events reminisced in my mind. At this point I can care less for who I am and how I look, I only care for my child who deserves much better than all this. My own mother won’t help me so what makes me think that this complete stranger I only meet a few minuets ago will help me just because I coincidentally walked into this run down place of a motel. The night runs on as I stay here feeling sorry for myself when I could be out there trying to fix this mess of a life I live in. “ Life is full of greed and obstacles that we all must encounter and some may fall and never get back yup and some are able to prevail out of the dark hole that they have fallen in. When I look into your eyes I see a woman of hope and strength and you might think I’m just a woman who has no clue to what they’re talking about, but honey trust me I know exactly what you’re going through.” The sound of her voice was soothing but in my mind the words she spoke made no sense to me what so ever. “ Well thank you for all that you have done for me, but do you think you can give me and my baby a room to sleep for the night we are very tired.” My voice was screechy from the crying. “ Well of course here you go” she handed me the keys to a room as I reached for my wallet she grabbed my hand. “ Its okay it my dear you have enough to worry about.” The next morning I was planning on thanking the lady from last night. But I was walked up to the front desk and asked the man if the lady from last night was here, but as I described her the man looked at me as if I was some kind of lunatic. I was confused on what the man had told me. “ Ma’am I’m sorry but I don’t know who your talking about but. “ as I turned to my left where the mirror from last night had been there was a picture of the lady from last night. It was a memorial in her honor. And underneath it said, “Life is full of greed and obstacles that we all must encounter and some may fall and never get back yup and some are able to prevail out of the dark hole that they have fallen in. When I look into your eyes I see a woman of hope and strength and you might think I’m just a woman who has no clue to what they’re talking about, but honey trust me I know exactly what you’re going through.”

I had just decided to write whatever came to my mind while i was sitting in my living room thinking about what someone out there in the world is going through and so many possibilities filled my mind and this was one of them that i decided to write about