So how was your day? | Teen Ink

So how was your day?

January 23, 2011
By morethanunusual BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey
morethanunusual BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 14 comments

“Sorry I’m late,” my mom said when she pulled up. “I hope you don’t mind.”
“I don’t. It’s fine.” It actually wasn’t fine with me, to be standing out in the snow for her to pick me up, but what can I say? She can’t change being late.

“So. How was choir practice?”
“It was ok.”
I loathe explaining my day. If I was as talkative as my friends, I would’ve told her how Hope had hiccups throughout our classical piece, and how Mr. Corey was grumpy because his wife was home sick, and how I failed to remember that the risers are unstable. Thank goodness it was over.

We drove in awkward silence until we picked up my little sister. And the only thing worse than explaining my day to my mom is explaining it to Emma.
“So how was school today, Charlotte?” she asked as she plummeted into the car.
“None of your beeswax.”
“But how was it?” she whined.

How was it?
Well, the hottest guy in my class bumped into me in the hallway after chemistry and actually apologized. Which means he knows I exist.
On the other hand, my major crush acts like I’m from another planet.
My art teacher called my drawing ‘undeveloped’ but praised Kari’s excessively. Hers looked like crayon scribbles on an encyclopedia.
Lunch was hilarious, but I was really bored during Algebra, English, Spanish, World History, Chemistry, PE, study hall…

“Fine” was all I said.

How should I describe it? Exciting? Boring? Stressful? Humorous? Absolutely exasperating? I can’t sum up my day in one word, or even a sentence. So I say it’s “fine” whether it was or not. It’s beyond words. It is what it is.

So how was your day?