Career Day | Teen Ink

Career Day

By Raytheraym PLATINUM, Belton, Missouri
Raytheraym PLATINUM, Belton, Missouri

I looked around the room of nine year olds. It was career day. I didn't see the point in talking about careers to sixth graders. They'll say they want to be one thing today, but will change their minds another five times by the time they get to high school.

I spotted a little brunette girl on the other side of the room away from the different job booths. I made my way over to her and leaned down slightly. "Hello, Rebecca."

"Hi, Miss Edwards." She looked up at me with clear brown eyes and a cute smile.

I smiled back. "Why aren't you talking with the volunteers about jobs?"

"I already know what I'm going to be."

"You do? What do you want to be?"

"Not want,. I'm going to be," she said knowingly.

Laughing, I asked, "Well then, what are you going to be?"

With all the confidence in the world she replied, "I'm going to be a sadistic serial killer."

I gasped, shocked. "What?"

"I said I'm going to be a sadist serial killer."

"You…" I tried to think of something to say. "You can't be a sadistic serial killer. It's wrong and illegal."

The girl looked at me blankly, "So?"

"Um…plus it's not a job; you wouldn't get paid."

"I'd get paid if I become a hired assassin."

"You…It's…" I stumbled over words thinking of what to do or say. "You want to kill people for a living?"

"Yes," she said, starting to sound impatient. "That's what I said." Her smiled turned from adorable to wicked in the blink of an eye. "I. Want. To. Kill. People."

I quickly grabbed her hand and started dragging her out of the room. "Come with me." My destination was the counselor's office.

DaughteroftheTrumpet BRONZE, East Aurora, New York

Washington Irving once said “There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love.”

Thats how they atart out i guess:) thats probably what  "The Reaper" aka George Foyet from Criminal Minds once said:) i know alot of my antaginists, and boy there are ALOT have said. Good job, tho there were some periods that were randomly thrown into the sentence, and there would be a double punctuation.

could you either steal a glance, comment and rate my story (sorry, its not short) Revulsion, or comment on my most recent thread that has the first bit of Half a Murder posted. thanks:)