Strum: Chapter Twelve | Teen Ink

Strum: Chapter Twelve

By Eer320 PLATINUM, S. China, Maine
Eer320 PLATINUM, S. China, Maine

"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you're really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I've got a few missing. It's ok though, because I've got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who's an 8-color type.. I'm like, hey girl, magenta! and she's like, oh, you mean purple! and she goes off on her purple thing, and I'm like, no - I want magenta!"

Since the talent show auditions were coming up in about two weeks, Strum went on overdrive. We had to decide on a certain song to audition and play in the talent show. Of course, it was difficult to do this. There were so many distractions. Of course, Ben and I couldn’t keep away from each other, and lately, Jack had insisted on listening in on our practices. Well, you know what that meant to Chasity. She started messing up her parts from nervousness. At break, all they would do is talk and giggle and flirt. It was kind of gross.

As our last rehearsal before the talent show came to a close, we had to decide on a song. In the end, it was “Bring Me To Life”, by Evanescence. It was the best fit for our band.

We were all getting ready to leave Spencer’s together, except for Spencer, of course. As we walked out the attic door, we heard Chasity yell that she would be along. As the door swung closed, I saw Jack step close to Chasity, and take her face in his hands. And the door was latched.

Spencer must have seen it too, because he stopped dead in his tracks. His face was a white sheet. I looked at him, and understood how he felt.

“Can I go back in there, and murder him? Please?” Spencer asked, and I could tell he meant it. But I didn’t want him to ruin anything for Chasity.

“No Spencer, just let everything play out.” I said, holding him back just in case. “Maybe they’ll end up hating each other? Or maybe he’ll end up raping her?” I said, joking,

“He better not …” Spencer growled, ignoring the jest.

“Come on, we better go.” Ben said, and, hand in hand, we walked down the steps.

?
? ?

That night, David Pullen was invited over for dinner. It was Mom’s idea. Supposedly, she had some big news to break to me. I dreaded whatever it was. With her, it could be anything.

I got home, and luckily, David was making out with my mom this time, but they were chatting at the kitchen table. I did notice, however, they were holding hands.

“Hello, Natalie.” Said David. God, was he charming.

“Hi. Mom?” I turned to her. “What’s for dinner?”

“Spaghetti.” She turned back to David. “So, our first rehearsal went well, huh?” She giggled. He leaned across the table and kissed her.

“Yes, because you made the perfect Glinda.”

“Oh, and Natalie!” Mom called as I left to my room. “Chasity called.”

I ran, ran to my room, picked up my phone, and dialed Chasity’s number. She answered immediately.

“Oh, Nat! Thank God you called back!” She sounded really excited. “I have so much to tell you about!”

“About Jack?” I asked.

“Mhm! You won’t be able to guess.” She didn’t wait for me to. “He kissed me!”

“He DID?!”

“Yeah, and you know that site we looked at about types of kissing?” I blushed, remembering something we did to pass a Saturday morning.

“Yeah.” I said.

“Well, it started out as “Single-Lip Kiss”, then the “French Kiss”, then “The Hickey”.” She rushed. “It was the best thing I have ever felt in my life.”

“Oh my God, Chas, do you have a hickey?!” I asked.

“Uh - well - kinda …” She trailed off.

“Oh my God.” I hadn’t even gotten that intense with Ben! “What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know, people are going to flip!” She said.

“Like who?” I asked. There weren’t really that many people who would, except -

“Spencer. Oh, and my Mom.” Chasity sighed. “She’s gonna b****.”

“Thats sucks.” Then I smiled, getting the irony. So did Chasity apparently.

“Ha. Ha.” And she hung up the phone.

I kind of felt bad. But I felt worse for Spencer. Because he loved her, I knew now for a fact. And Chasity was playing with him. I realized how mad I was at her, and how much of a flirt she was. And she didn’t even tell me if she’s dating Jack now. Knowing her, she’s probably not. Just makes out with him, and that’s all.

I realized, she was being a sl*t.