Her Hollow Eyes

She hated bars. They were cliché. Everyone goes to bars; they go to drown their sorrows, to let go, to forget about what they keep remembering. She didn’t want to be everyone.
And yet here she sat, on an old barstool, staring blankly ahead, clutching a nondescript beer bottle, night after night.
She wanted to drown her sorrows, to let go, to forget about what she kept remembering.
She didn’t used to be the type that hung out at bars.
Then again, she wasn’t sure what ‘type’ she was anymore.
So much had changed. So much was lost.
She sat. She sat and stared with her beer and her past, staring her in the face. Maybe the beer would help the past dissolve, at least a little.
A dark haired man sat down next to her and ordered something. She didn’t catch what it was.
He shot a glance at her, cautiously. As if she was going to bite.
She looked at him, then looked forward again.
They sat in silence, both aware of each other but not acknowledging each other.
She drowned her thoughts in amber liquid.
He left.

He certainly wasn’t the first to leave.

She left.

She came back the next night, sat in the same old barstool, clutched another beer bottle, and tried to stop thinking.
The dark haired man came back, too.
They sat. Drank. He left. She left.

It became routine. Every night they would sit, drink, and leave.
One night, he decided to speak.
“It’s cold.”
“Yes,” she said.
“Are you cold?” he asked.

You can’t imagine.

“Yes.”

She never looked at him, but she suddenly felt heavy warmth around her shoulders. His jacket. Leather. Well worn.
It smelled like him.

It smelled like him.

She felt the hot sting of tears behind her eyes, and shrugged the jacket off. It fell to the floor.
He said nothing. He leaned down, picked it up, and put it on.

Minutes passed. Hours?
She finished her beer and ordered a second.
The dark haired man was looking at her.
She looked at him.

“You’re hurt,” he told her.
She said nothing. She kept looking at him.
“I can see it,” he continued. “It’s in your eyes.”
“Is it?” she replied, tersely.
“They’re hollow.”

Hollow. Empty. Nothing left.

“Could be,” she said.
She turned back to face the bar, and stared straight ahead.
He turned, too.

He can see it?

He left. She left.

They came back the next night, like they always did.
This time, they didn’t look straight ahead the whole time. They looked at each other, sometimes. The glances were short, it was like they knew each other. He could see through her. She could see through him.
She started to anticipate these exchanges, almost nervously. Like an awkward teenager toying with a first relationship.
She couldn’t tell what they were. Friends? Maybe.

“Why are they hollow?” he asked, breaking the silence. “Your eyes.”

It’s not just my eyes.

“There’s nothing to fill them.”
“What used to fill them?”
She sat, silent.

He used to fill them.

He left. She left.

The next night, she found herself back at the bar, but not to forget. Not to let go, or to train her hollow eyes on a blank wall, or to drown her thoughts in amber liquid. She went back for the dark haired man.
She sat in the old barstool, and ordered a beer out of habit.
She sat.
She waited.
Alone.
The beer was gone before long.

They always leave.

She left.

The next night, she sat down, ordered a beer, and stared directly ahead.
Resuming the routine.
She was cold.
Suddenly, she felt a heavy warmth on her shoulders. His jacket. Well-worn leather.
She let it stay.
The dark haired man sat down next to her, in his usual spot, and ordered the drink he always ordered.
She looked at him. He looked at her.
In that moment, she felt more peaceful than she had in a very long time.

I need this.

“Your eyes,” he said.
“What about them?”

“They’re filling up again.”

BrokenBreeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was amazing! Loved, Loved, Loved it! Fantastic job!

badwriterbetterreader101 said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm:
this was really touching I've read 3 of your pieces and counting. your a great writer!

VillangelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm :
I know, this is my 3rd one, and I absolutely agree. This is really amazing writing.!

messed_chick said...
By the way, i absolutely love the way it's written. You are truly an amazing author.

messed_chick said...
Question: Is the dark- haired man, and the man in the saying "It smelled like him" or "He used to fill them" all the same man?

enigma99 replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm :

No, they are not.

But that's all I will tell you, as the story is best read when left up to the imagination :)

Joely16 said...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 4:01 am:
That is AMAZING. I read the whole story with my hand over my mouth. You're an amazing writer, i love your style.

DreamingOutLoud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was beautiful. The simplicity in the language added an element of reality to it. Very honest and down-to-earth. =)

mimirocks124 said...
this wuz relly quite good. it kept me guessing about her past, and by not revealing it is mysterious. i also like how the characters have no names. well done.

court1992 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

that was great! :D

it brightened my day lol

bubj98 replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm :
this also made my day.i love how you made the thoughts go in between.loved it

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 4:27 pm :
Beautifully written! I love how you kept her past hidden and only hinted at it. I was sad when this ended. I wanted it to go on and on and on.... The emotion in it is powerful! Well done!