brotherhood | Teen Ink

brotherhood

By mandaloreP GOLD, Forked River, New Jersey
mandaloreP GOLD, Forked River, New Jersey

I sat at the desk, but nothing came to his mind. The ashtray was full of cigarette butts smoked down to the filter. Anyone who entered the room couldn’t go two minutes without a cough. The smoke tried to escape as it rushed through the single open window. The room’s toxic smelled sticks to the furniture. There is clutter everywhere. I had dedicated the last two years of my life on this case. There must be someway somehow I could prove his innocence. I was running out of time there wasn’t much left.

A knock on the door. Whoever could it be? I didn’t invite anyone over. And I have barely left the house besides to go to the store for essentials. Peeping through the door whole I see her. It’s Katie and she looks worried and disheveled. I open the padlock and let her in, immediately walking into the room she coughs.

“What are you doing here? I’m busy you need to leave.”

“I was worried about you. You’ve been trapped in this room for days. You haven’t spoken to a single soul. You’re really worrying me.”

“It will all be better soon I’ve almost come to the bottom of this, I almost cracked the code.”

“Look maybe it’s time you gave up. It’s been over two years since he was locked away everyone knows he did it and that he has to get what’s coming.”

“No it wasn't him. I know it wasn’t!” I paced the room looking through some newspaper articles.

“You need help.”

“Don’t tell me what I need I know what I need and that’s to help my brother. I know he’s innocent and if I don’t do something he is going to die!” An awkward type silence filled the room. She left without another word. I looked at the ground and sighed. Then looked out the window into the rainy dark sky.
Soon my brother. I’ll be there soon.

We, of this court find you guilty of Murder of the third degree of law enforcement officer. You are hereby sentenced to death row. They cuffed him and pulled him away. I looked at him through my bloodshot eyes.

“Tell me it wasn’t you. Tell me you’re innocent. Please, brother I’ll help you. I’ll find the truth.” I pleaded, but he was dragged away without another word. I knew he was innocent. I knew he was.

There he lay on the table ready for his time. The needle pierces his skin and his shrieks sent me flying up from my bed. Yet another nightmare. The scheduled execution was in three days and I still had nothing. I didn’t know what else to do or where else to turn. Time was running out. And my brother and I were running out of options. I paced the streets of the busy town. Just another soul lost in the busy city. The walk was just down the street, but it felt as if I just kept walking, never getting anywhere. The street seemed to drag on forever and it was only getting further. My legs started to shake and I felt weak. Everything around me got blurry. I turned into a nearby ally and tried to breathe. Coughing up I storm I threw up a little.

The next thing I knew I was in my bed. In the same old room the same way I left it. Was I asleep? How long had I been sleeping? The deadlock on the door clicked and Katie walked in with a bag of groceries. She placed the bag of groceries on the table.

“You’ve been out for two days “ she said. “Probably from the not sleeping.” She stated without making eye contact. There was a tone in her voice that made her sound angry. Maybe not angry maybe just disappointed.

“No, I slept before I went out for ten minutes”

“Oh, a whole lousy ten minutes? When was the last tome you actually had a good nights sleep? A month maybe two?”

“I’m fine. “ I paused for a moment.
“What day is it?”

“It’s Thursday. Thursday the 21st.”
“Damn it. Damn it! I’m going be late I have to go. I have to go now.” I grabbed my jacket and a pair of shoes. I ran that day, ran as fast as I could, racing against time. Could it be that I had finally run out of time? The station was a twenty-four drive by car; it would take at least an hour by walking. Katie pulled up next to me and stopped. I got in and the ride was silent. Being it was Thursday we managed to make good time. Especially at this hour. We got there four minutes late. They had already begun.
There he lay on the table in his pumpkin colored jail clothes. Katie and I were the only ones there. I’m not sure if she did, but as far as I knew I was the only one to believe he was innocent. He looked at me through the glass window. My eyes began to tear. Everything I saw was blurry. There was nothing else I could do. The officer took out the needle and poked a whole into his skin. A tiny drop of blood dripped from his arm onto the table. His eyes began to diliate as the chemicals rushed through his body. His skin grew pale. He began to close his eyes. He looked at me the whole time. There were tears in his eyes as well as mine. He mumbled something. I couldn’t hear what he said, but I could read his lips.
He said, “Thanks little brother for believing when nobody else did. I love you.” His eyes shut as the final words left his lips. I looked at him. He just lay there. I walked outside and sat on the steps. Katie came out and sat next to me. She lit me a cigarette and put her in my lap. The sun was still rising in the sky. It was a beautiful sight to see. The sky was a bright purplish color. Every cloud was in the shape of form or something.

“I’m sorry I.” Katie tried to say something, but I stopped her. There was no need for talking. I just wanted to sit. Sit and think.

on Nov. 19 2010 at 11:43 am
thank you kkcunn

KKCUNN said...
on Nov. 19 2010 at 11:11 am
Beutifully written and very sensitive and emotional. I highly recommend this writer.

momito said...
on Nov. 19 2010 at 5:39 am
WOW! this was a beautiful story...very emotional...the love and trust between brothers is a bond the transends all else