A Breath of Fresh Water

I plunge into the freezing depths. First my fingers, arms and body, then my legs and toes. Tiny bubbles burst and gurgle and giggle around me as I glide through the blue, so aqueous and fluid. I reach in front of me and clutch the vastness of a universe that extends all around me. Soon I am part of it, as I draw nearer and nearer to the abyss. Every stroke, each constant rhythmic motion swallows me deeper in a flawless profundity. I plummet so deep that a twilight descends upon me and I yearn for the light, a hope, the bleak joy of daylight. I amplify my courage, my strength, and my will and take one last swish of my legs, one seize of the darkness radiating from the vastness as if scaling a mountain. I glide to the surface and breathe.

Mike said...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 9:07 am
I found myself holding my breath while I was reading.  I felt like I was there, wanting to take a breath after breaking the surface.  Wow!  Awesome work!

kidmick98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks. When I was writing it, I was holding my breath, too!

BigDan said...
Another one published! Gosh your on a roll!

I didn't even know this one got on.... wow!

Ally said...
Wow u r so amazing at writing! I had no idea, i love it!