The Popular Group

Once or twice about every month, our principal would ask a different person, who are the popular kids in this school? We all knew what he wanted to hear, "I have no idea." That's what I said, that's what everyone says. We know that if we tell the truth the popular kids will hate us. So, we lie. We all lie, forever wallowing in self pity and wondering what would have happened if we told the truth.

-----------------------------------

Everyone at the Center for Performing and Fine Arts knows who the popular kids are. They don't talk to the new kids, they don't eat lunch with the new kids, hey, they don't even look at the new kids! Are there cliques in this school? Heck yeah there are! Nobody wants to admit it because they all know that things will just get worse for them. I was once new in that school. I know what it's like to be awkwardly standing around waiting for someone to acknowledge that you're there while you see all of the old-timers shrieking and hugging each other. You sit with all the other new kids watching everyone catch up with each other. The new kids are silent, they wish they could disappear. Everyone is aware of this awkward feeling in the room, yet no one acknowledges it. So we, the new kids, are forced to sit there, wondering if anyone will come up to us, praying that at least one kind person will say hello. No one does.

-----------------------------------

Then there's lunch time. Of course, the one time of the day everyone in the whole school is together and you have to decide where to sit, who to sit with, and what to say. God forbid you sit at the wrong table, or talk to the wrong person. You could be labeled for life because of one word you said, one place you sat. Even harmless sentences become hazards and you are forced to wait seconds to answer a question just to come up with an answer. Then people think your shy or you have a brain problem and can't process things quickly, and they go back to there old friends whispering about what just happened. Soon, you are labled as the shy girl with brain tumor. It is a lose, lose situation. Yet no one does anything about it.

-----------------------------------

Who are the popular kids?

"I have no idea."

-----------------------------------

Then there's lunch time. Of course, the one time of the day everyone in the whole school is together and you have to decide where to sit, who to sit with, and what to say. God forbid you sit at the wrong table, or talk to the wrong person. You could be labeled for life because of one word you said, one place you sat. Yet no one does anything about it.

-----------------------------------

Who are the popular kids?

"I have no idea."

BroadwayBaby said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 11:08 am
I am so glad that you all like this story! I hope that you all got that something was messed up when I edited it and it was supposed to end after the first "I have no idea" but I am so glad you all like it!

Auburn-M. said...

I really liked this. It was a very cool read and I could hear the character's voice in my head, like it was a conversation. I like that :D

mudpuppy said...
I hate cliques like posion. Let me tell you, I have been in high school for all for years and I still sit by myself. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but don't worry cliques don't last when it's time to good grades. :)

missTaco said...

nice story. the lunch time part rings true its just like my school

rhymertapperdreamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Hey Lissy, it's Emily.

Oh my Gosh I had no idea you felt that way!!! You are so right.  SO right!  Mr.(let's call him Mr. Paul) is always asking that question.  He thinks he is helping, but there is nothing he or anyone else can do about cliques.  They just happen.  Now I want to hug every new student in CPFA...:)

rhymertapperdreamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
P.S. Could you comment on some of my work?

Lyricsofmylife replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 7:20 am

Yes I know! Well, I DID exagerrate the whole thing a bit but I know that some of the shyer kids there at the school WITHOUT awesome friends like you, may actually be living this! :'( I have an idea but I am not sure if it will work. It is a double agent plan to get the popular kids to branch out. I definetely have to tell you about it.

I will comment on your work! (I don't know if you noticed but I really messed up with pasting this on here and the story is supposed to end after the fi... (more »)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I can relate! I love how you twisted this! It made me smile! Well done!